How many Calories?

amndac2482
on 12/28/07 3:04 am - weirton, WV
hi, i'm currently on steroids for a kindey issue and of course they make me eat...im trying to stay in the realm or what i should be eating and trying not to eat more than the portions i use to...because i know my head is telling me im hungry and my stomach is still ok without the amount of food i actually want...anywho my question is i want to watch my calories, carbs, sugars ect..so whats like a general rule of how much we should be having in a day? yes i know every doctor requires something different but i just a ballpark. thanks

DanielleH_RD
on 12/28/07 11:00 am - CA
I have the greatest of sympathy - steroids are no fun. What usually happens with corticosteroids is that they cause a rise in blood sugar (hyperglycemia) or they block the action of insulin (insulin resistance) which makes your cells think they are hungry - even though they are not.  So that explains what's happening, but what can you do about it? I wouldn't worry so much about the content gram per gram of your nutrients (carbs, pro, fat) but rather set a strict schedule for your meals.  Eat your meals very routinely, be careful with your portions, continue to eat your protein first, and take your time eating. If you get hungry between meals, drink no calorie beverages.  Warm drinks, like hot tea, tend to be the most satisfying to keep the hungries away a little longer. Recognize also that you may retain additional fluid with the steroids causing weight gain.  Hopefully this is a short treatment and you'll be able to get back to your old routine again soon. Good luck & hope this helps!
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Most Active