I'm Hungry!!!

rc2600
on 12/27/07 6:24 am - Oakdale, MN

I'm really trying to watch what i'm eating now. I started using fitday.com and let me tell you i'm really dang hungry right now.

Food NameServingsServing SizeCalsFatCarbProt
Cereals, QUAKER, oatmeal, instant, with apples and cinnamon, dry 128 1 27 3
Milk, cow's, fluid, 1% fat 26 1 3 2
Raisins 109 0 29 1
Chewing gum, sugared 27 0 8 0
Apple, raw 81 0 21 0
Orange, raw 62 0 15 1
Bread, French or Vienna 69 1 13 2
Butter, NFS 36 4 0 0
Baked beans, NFS 97 3 14 4
Beans, lima, raw 44 0 8 3
Beans, kidney, red, mature seeds, canned 54 0 10 3
Ground beef, lean, cooked 83 6 0 8
Beans, kidney, all types, mature seeds, canned 52 0 10 3
Totals 867 17 157 31

MelissaF
on 12/27/07 1:49 pm - Northwood, IA
Just an observation here.. lots of carbs in your diet, even though they are good carbs.  Try starting your morning out with strictly protein like egg and lean ham and see what it does.  I notice a big difference when I do this and 867 calories is not enough even if you are trying to lose weight, you will go into starvation mode.  I just had my basic metabolic rate tested and I burn 1681 calories just breathing and doing nothing else.. just food for thought.
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

(deactivated member)
on 12/29/07 5:37 am - Vacaytown, HI
How do you get your BMR tested?
MelissaF
on 12/30/07 4:57 am - Northwood, IA
Google "new leaf technology" and then their website has a zip code u can enter and find a location near you.  You just sit with a mask on.. after fasting and not exercising the day before that is hooked up to a computer.. its very accurate.  It takes about 15 mins.
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

(deactivated member)
on 12/30/07 6:48 am - Vacaytown, HI
Thanks.... how much does it cost?  Jess
MelissaF
on 12/30/07 6:54 am - Northwood, IA
I think it depends on the individual center.. mine was 70 dollars the first go round and then its 20 after that.. its more expensive the first time because they have to give you a mask and things.. you keep it and reuse it for your next testing.. I have heard 60-70 dollars is pretty average for the first go round though.. good luck!
Hugs, Melissa 

LizzyL
on 12/27/07 10:22 pm, edited 12/27/07 10:22 pm - NY
RNY on 06/08/04 with
Hello, I see that we had our surgeries the SAME YEAR. how cool is that :-) i agree with Melissa..... you should eat more protein in the morning AND throughout the day! cut down on the CARBS. CARBS are making you feel hungry! try to only ...eat just a few carbs ( GOOD CARBS ONLY)  ... throughout the day. i eat anything between ......... 800 - 1000 calories a day and i am not hungry at all. Are you eating every 2 - 3 hours ? IF you aren't .... start eating every 2 -3 hours. eating...... every 2 hours keeps you satisfied and feeling FULL longer. eat FOODS that will keep you FULL LONGER! i eat every 2 hours. i do not skip meals/snacks even if you are not hungry when you are scheduled to eat. just EAT! it will keep you satisfied. i eat this way and i am never hungry. i don't even have an appetite i have to force myself to eat and stay on track with my eating. or i will get sick or faint.... so when you are not hungry JUST make sure you eat. bring GOOD healthy snacks with you  IF you go out or work. Have a Healthy Happy New Year!! hugss Lizzy

Hugs & Kisses
Lizzybee2.gif

wendy_fou
on 12/28/07 8:46 am, edited 12/29/07 11:24 am - AR

From what I can see, you are hungry because: 1. You are eating too way many carbs which is causing your body to crave MORE carbs.  (A strict daily NET carb limit would be around 20 - 30.)  You need to decrease your carbs to stop your body from wanting more of them (by cutting out the bread and not eating so many beans).  2. You are eating too little protein which is causing your body to be less satisfied with the food you ARE getting.  You need to get in more protein whether it means substituting your current breakfast for a protein drink or adding protein into recipes you make, etc. 3. You are eating lots of soft foods which are probably sliding right through your pouch after you chew them up.  You need to start eating more foods like the lean ground beef (which is more "solid") instead of foods like oatmeal and beans (which, after chewed, are almost liquid that goes right through you). Just my opinion. 

sarard
on 12/28/07 1:00 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
You're probably hungry because you are only eating 800-ish calories. Are you exercising too? In addition 31 g of protein is very low. You wan to at least double it. That will bring up your calories and many help your feelings of fullness. Fiber-rich carbohydrates are GOOD for you & do not "slip through your pouch" - just the opposite. Fiber is difficult to digest and will stay with you longer - promoting a feeling of fullness. In addition, fiber is so important for colon health, heart health, and just health in general that I would ENCOURAGE you to continue eating things like oatmeal and beans. Most of your carbs are coming from fresh fruit and whole grains, so I don't think carbs is your problem. I would not ask you to restrict them. I would recommend you bump up the protein by adding an egg in the morning or extra meat, or even a protein shake. In addition, make sure you are exercising 30 minutes per day & drinking adequate fluid. Good luck!
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
wendy_fou
on 12/29/07 1:42 am - AR

I have been avoiding eating beans for more than 1 meal per day because of lack of variety (which is discouraged by my NUT/surgeon) and the high carb count.  There are 52.1 g of carbs in one cup of baked beans, but only 12.7 g of that is dietary fiber.  That's a NET carb (which are easily digested if I am understanding right) at 39.4 for just that cup of food (which is high I've been told).  In addition, there are 18.6 g of sugar in 1 cup of baked beans (which I have been forbid to eat by my NUT/surgeon) which seems like a LOT of grams of sugar for just a little fiber. 

Nutrition Facts for Baked Beans
Serving Size 1 cup (254.0 g)
Calories 236
Total Fat 1.1g
Saturated Fat 0.3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g
Monounsaturated Fat .01g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 1008mg
Total Carbohydrates 52.1g
Dietary Fiber 12.7g
Sugars 18.6g
Protein 12.2g
Wouldn't something like Nature's Own Double Fiber Bread be a better choice to get in the fiber?  The carbs/fiber/sugar/protein count seems like a better trade-off to me.  This is a product that my surgeon recommends, along with fresh fruit, for fiber. 
Nutrition Facts for Nature's Own Double Fiber Bread
Serving Size 1 slice (28.0 g)
Calories 40
Total Fat 1.0g
Sodium 150mg
Total Carbohydrates 10.0g
Dietary Fiber 5.0g
Sugars 1.0g
Protein 4.0g

Am I missing something?
Most Active