protein????

amber__lee
on 12/27/07 4:58 am - TX
I am 10 days post surgery and I have a question regarding protein. My doctor did not give me a number of gm of protein I need to consume daily now or when I start mushies or solids. They say 3 meals a day no snacking no soup, no shakes, no oatmeal. I was wondering I know everyone has different doctors and they all have their own way but I'm confused as to why my doctor does not worry about protein gms. just want me to stay hydrated. He has also stated that if I do not feel like eating for a couple of days in the first 4 wks thats ok just drink. Does this seem reasonable or am I just paranoid? I see him in a week and will ask more questions again just to verify I was just wondering. 

purpleangel0909
on 12/27/07 6:05 pm - Willits, CA
Hi Amber, I dont know if it's different based on your dr or on the type of surgery you had, my dr gave us a workbook to follow and we could call if we had any questions or concerns.  I had a DS and the most important thing for the first month was drinking lots of water and protein shakes, not much food and no solids or mushies, just clear broth, water, and protein drinks, the most important thing the first month is to stay hydrated, you need to let everything inside heal and the swelling in your stomach go down etc., my first week out of the hospital all I could have was water, I didnt have room for anything else, then I had my drains taken out when I was 1 wk post op then I was advanced to full liq and I could have oatmeal and creamy soups with no meat or chunks, I didnt get to solid food till I was almost 3 mos out....I hope this helps...good luck and dont be afraid to ask questions, your Dr should tell you but if he doesnt then by all means ask.  ~Melody

Most Active