Juice Plus products

DixieDarling
on 12/26/07 6:26 pm - Douglasville, GA
My surgeon suggested Juice Plus products to boost my immunity before surgery.  Are these products safe to use post-surgery?  Some of the products are in capsule form.  Can these be taken in that form?
DanielleH_RD
on 12/29/07 10:55 am - CA
I would encourage you to look at alternatives as well.  There are a lot of great products out on the market to give you the B vitamins and C that these products provide, and often at a lower price.  There are also alternatives for immune enhancement that you may find interesting. Juice plus products are safe post op. The capsule form is problematic for some people post-op, but not for all.  It's usully a problem of getting it down without it feeling "stuck".  Unfortunately you won't know if this is a problem for you until post-op. Good Luck!
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

DixieDarling
on 12/31/07 8:45 am - Douglasville, GA
Thank you for the info.  I'm new to using supplements, so I would really appreciate if you could suggest some.  Again, thanks. P. S.  Today, I received my "YES" letter from my insurance carrier.  They've approved my bypass!!!!   What a way to START the New Year!!!
DanielleH_RD
on 1/1/08 11:48 pm - CA
The nutrients that are most associated with healing and immune support are the water soluble vitamins (Bs and C), vit E, and zinc. Now, all the supplements in the world are not going to compensate for a well-balanced diet.  First and foremost, your body needs calories, protein, and good fats to manage the "day to day" operations.  Your body uses the vitamins and minerals in the food you eat to support the functions it completes each day. Now, I'm all for taking daily vitamins - but I also have to encourage people to get as many vitamins & minerals as they can from food, especially fruits and vegetables.  These powerful foods contain other, lesser known, compounds known as phytochemicals which are just as important as the big-name vitamins.  The phytochemicals are what gives a plant its color, and each color represents a different valuable compound.  This is why variety of fruits & veggies is so important. OK, I'll step down from my soap box... The vits and minerals to support your immune system are listed above.  There are additionally traditional herbal preparations which are used to boost immunity, these include Echinacea, Astragalus, Cat's claw, and post-op Bromelain. Look into these, but at a minimum I would suggest an additional B&C preparation added to your daily regimen.  You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a good supplement of these nutrients.  You could also use a B-complex (sometimes called B50 or something similar) and some chewable vitamin C. Good luck!
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Most Active