Excess Calories

Smiller100
on 12/24/07 2:38 pm - Charlotte, NC
Hey, my name is Stephen and I am a 24 year old RNY male. I had my RNY on May 15th 2007. I've currently lost around 130 pds so far and its still going at about 1pd a week or so. My question is this.... I am currently deployed working with the National Science Foundation in Antarctica. My NUT back home told me that she read somewhere that working in extreme cold temps the body requires almost 4500-5500 cals a day to function. We all know this wont happen as a RNY patient. I eat probably 1500 cals a day. Here is a typical meal for me since I've been here: Breakfast - 3 medium eggs over EASY (keeping half liquid) Snack - Protein drink or peanut butter crackers Lunch - Bowel of Chili with cheese and some papya fruit Snack - Chex mix type stuff for carbs Dinner - 1 pork chop, small amounts of potatoes  My fear is I am eatting TO MUCH but yet, I know that i need to eat this because I work outside in Antarctica....lol.....Is this to much for a person this early out? my pounch can take it just fine believe it or not. I can even sometimes sip on Orange juice to get some vitiman C in if I am getting sick...Right now the temps are about 35 ABOVE 0 but in Feb they will get back down to around NEGATIVE 20....any advice?????
monikabell123
on 12/24/07 9:25 pm - Thailand

Congrats on your sucess. Don;t go out of your way to have carbs unless you have been advised to do this. They seem to be triggers for overeating/converting back to our old bad ways. Maybe you could increase your veggies but substitute brocolli and others for the potatoes...the spuds are not so good for you...  try to vary your meats and don;t eat the fat on the pork chops.

As you continue to lose 1lb a week this is very good. Up the exercise/alter your routine to kick start your body occassionally. It suxs but the slimmer you get the more used to the exercise your body gets and so you have to do more, or more vigorously ! I ask myself each fews days - do I feel healthy - alert or tired, sluggish etc and then up the food or vitamins etc to try to sort it out. Good luck

01mommy
on 12/26/07 11:29 am
I've got absolutely no advice, but I had to tell you how cool I think it is that you're living in Antartica for an extended period!!!  Working with NSF, the first thing that came to mind was Happy Feet...I'm sending a little heat your way from sunny Florida !
Rob S.
on 12/26/07 10:18 pm - DE
Since you are still in the honeymoon stage of weight loss, I would recommend that you get more protein in and not worry about the calories or carbs.  It doesn't look like you are getting that much, especially if you are in a physical job.  Don't go out of your way to get carbs!   Substitute the chex mix for a protein drink and get another protein snack after dinner.  Our surgeon recommends six meals per day.  Good luck! Rob
Most Active