Whey, soy...etc Which is best?

Pamela C.
on 12/24/07 9:28 am - Fayetteville, NC
My Dr. wants all his patients to use Protein 95 from GNC which is a soy based product.  When I went to GNC and spoke with their nutritionist, he didn't recommend that a soy based product be my sole protein intake source due to the estrogen. But as I read more and more... I read that some of the whey proteins are more difficult to absorb due to lactose intolerance that some people experience shortly after surgery..... Does anyone have some clarity on this or recommend where I can get more information? Thanks! Pamela in Fayetteville, NC
DanielleH_RD
on 12/24/07 2:16 pm - CA
In most whey based proteins there is virtually NO lactose left. The drying process of the protein burns off the sugars.  If you mix the powder with milk - well that's a different story. Look at some of the studies about soy yourself.  The contribution of "phytoestrogens" was significantly overestimated.  Really, soy is not the answer to hormone replacement therapy.  Though it is true that the data shows women in countries where they eat a lot of soy have fewer complications associated with menopause, the methods by which they came to that information is skewed.  Rather than worrying about phytoestrogens, I would consider that soy does cause more allergies in this country than milk (though milk allergies are usually more severe). And not to put down the guy at GNC, but what are his credentials in recommending anything?  I'm sure he went to the GNC school of nutrition, but does he have a formal education?  I guess I'm saying - consider the source of your information.  Your health is too important to leave it up to the opinions of others. Do the research and make the best decision for yourself.  Google it, check out the NIH website, check out the ADA website - there are great resources out there from reputable agencies. Good Luck!
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Most Active