Chinese Chicken

VA_Bill
on 12/23/07 4:37 am - Newport News, VA
Are there any chicken dishes we are allowed (low sugar) at a Chinese restaurant? I like General Tso chicken. I know orange chicken probably has too much sugar.  I'm only 3 weeks post-op Lap RNY but am wanting to know what I can look forward to in a few weeks.

The Quest: "To live longer, happier and healthier"

Jupiter6
on 12/23/07 6:49 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
I've had good success eating chinese food since the pureed stage (believe it or not) but you do need to be careful! General Tso's chicken is fried, so I don't eat that at all. Citrusy chicken (orange or lemon) can be very sweet-- I found a place that does a less sweet lemon pepper chicken and I eat a couple ounces with very little sauce without trouble. Ditto for chicken and broccoli. There is a LOT of added sugar hidden in Chinese food. I have put together a great recipe for Asian Peanut Chicken (just had it a few minutes ago, in fact). Works great for microwave lunches! Takes very little time and tastes delicious! Makes about eight 4 ounce servings.... Calories: 132   Fat: 5g   Carbs:8g  Protein:12g Ingredients:
SAUCE:
1/2 c. Reduced fat Peanut Butter (I use Smuckers)
1.5 teaspoons Garlic Powder
1 tablespoon dried onion (or real onions)
4 tablespoons lemon juice
2 packets of Equal/Splenda
4 tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon of chili seasoning (or a little cayenne if you like the heat)
1/2 cup water

1/2 cup diced snow peas
1 small can water chestnuts, diced
2 cups of chicken, cooked and diced very small (Or buy one 10 oz. pack of pre-cooked Perdue!)

Combine all the sauce ingredients in a microwave safe bowl, and microwave for 1 minute. Blend with spoon until smooth. Pour over chicken, chestnuts and snowpeas. Dole it out into 4oz. tupperware containers, and reheat in the microwave-- also freezes great! (You could also add carrots or bamboo shoots if you really dig veggies!)

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

Most Active