which is more important

joanipedi
on 12/22/07 7:43 am - Justice, IL
I had rny surgery on May 1,2006. I have lost 150lbs. Recently, I have been stuck at this weight, which is fine, Iam just confused on what protein bars to eat. I dont eat protein so I figured I better try something to get my protein in. All the bars I looked at, have high quantities of sugar, carbs or fat. Which one is the one to keep low? I also dont drink water, I have 2 cups of decaf every morning , then 1 glass of diet sierra mist. Im so confused, can anyone help me figure out what to eat. Thank you
Anita Jo
on 12/22/07 9:02 am - Elmira, NY
hi jopan, i eat the power crunch bars. they are terrific.... almost like cheating. sometimes i freeze them they are like wafers... yum yum...  i dio drink soda sometimes. crystal light is good try that. that counts as water also...
Nutrition Facts

Amount Per 1 serving
Calories 195 Calories from Fat 99

% Daily Value *

Total Fat 11g 17%

Saturated Fat 4g 20%

Polyunsaturated Fat 0g  

Monounsaturated Fat 0g  

Cholesterol 0mg 0%

Sodium 80mg 3%

Potassium 180mg 5%

Total Carbohydrate 10g 3%

Dietary Fiber 1g 4%

Protein 15g 30%

Alcohol 0g  

Vitamin A 0 %     Vitamin C 0 %

Calcium 0 %     Iron 0 %

Vitamin D 0 %     Vitamin E 0 %

Thiamin 0 %     Riboflavin 0 %

Niacin 0 %     Folate 0 %

Vitamin B-6 0 %     Vitamin B-12 0 %

Phosphorus 0 %     Magnesium 0 %

Zinc 0 %     Copper 0 %

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

joanipedi
on 12/22/07 11:35 pm - Justice, IL
Thanks for the reply. Isn't 11grams of fat high? Thats why I get confused. When should I eat one? In the afternoon? Thats when I dont eat anything. Also, I hear people say they eat 60 or more grams of protein in a day, how do they do it? Do you know? I dont know what to eat.
Anita Jo
on 12/23/07 11:50 pm - Elmira, NY
hi joan, i eat a few power crunch bars a day. sometimes for breakfast or a snack and sometimes at night. i dont think 11 grams is too much. if your day was full of fats then maybe. i did use fitday.com to track my proteins and stuff but it gets me too stressful when the numbers add up so i stopped using it. i do eat healthy so i'm not doing fitday and be discouraged.

DanielleH_RD
on 12/22/07 9:48 am - CA
Think about seeing a dietitian to help you establish a maintenance diet.  You may need to shift gears from the post-op diet to something closer to a long term diet.   Or look at some of the other boards on OH - there are a lot of experienced people here to help you out. Good luck!
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Mary .
on 12/23/07 7:24 pm - TN

Eleven grams of fat is high by my standards, so that's not an item that I would personally choose. The nutritionist said to a later post, though, that it's more about your total calorie count than anything else. Perhaps if you offset that fat with other low-fat choices to make up in another area of your diet. 

Protein is critical. :) 

Roberta Murray
on 12/24/07 4:27 pm - Pittsburgh , PA

One thing that I read, by a VERY successful post-op, is that since we had this surgery we absorb VERY LITTLE fat and even tho' fat can be our enemy it can also be our friend. Everyone needs a LITTLE fat to stay healthy soooooooooooooo since we absorb little we must eat a bit more to absorb enough to keep us and our hair/nails/skin healthy. I do try to watch the amount I take in but I stress the sugar/protein and sodium more than the fat (it seems that if I watch the big stuff then the little stuff takes care of itself). JMHO

Ciao 4 now,
    Berta
385(hw)/292(sw)/186(cw)/150(gw)

Most Active