2 years post op HELP please

Sophia Maria
on 12/20/07 4:11 pm
I am 2 years post op and I have gained 16 pounds during illness this year. what can I do to get back on track? I am concerned because I can eat more  than I could a year ago. Is it really true your pouch can get larger? If you go to eating very small meals again  can your pouch get smaller?
01mommy
on 12/20/07 8:33 pm
I think it is possible to stretch our pouch a little with constant overeating, but not so significantly that you ruin the tool altogether.  As long as your stoma is still intact, the fullness will still last longer because your outflow is restricted as well. I'm not sure if you can "make" it smaller, but you can retrain yourself to acknowledge that feeling of fullness by going back to a DENSE protein first eating rule.  Some people call it pouch resetting, but I think you'll agree that although you're able to eat more, you can't exactly pig out on steaks, chicken breast, or chops.  I can eat a cup or more of spaghetti IF it doesn't have much meat, but can barely eat 1/2c of extra meaty spaghetti sauce by itself. I'm up 16lbs myself and have to keep reminding myself to stay away from the rice and pasta based foods I love and concentrate on the protein first, with just a taste of the carbs for balance.
sarard
on 12/21/07 12:16 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Good evening.  Your pouch can stretch, and will stretch.  Typically (I'm talking about RNY), the pouch is originally made around 1 oz.  Then, over time, it slowly stretches.  Most people at 1 year post op could eat about a 5 oz portion.  Meals would be something like: 1/2 sandwich, 1 piece fruit, 1 cup milk or yogurt. So, some stretching of the pouch is normal.  Eating small portions can make your pouch a bit smaller, but not to the original 1 oz size.  However, your surgery is not useless.  You are still restricted.   To get back on track, take a look at your exercise and eating habits.  Look at where your weaknesses are -- are you eating more junk food?  How are your portion sizes?  Are you exercising for 30 minutes at least 5 times per week?  This is a good starting point ....   Good luck. 
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Most Active