Question about soy milk

themomhere
on 12/19/07 10:24 am - Linden, MI
I am wondering if Silk Soy Milk has too much sugar in it?  My Nut said no more than 2 grams of added sugar or if the sugar is one of the first six ingredients to stay away from it.  So if I make my protien drinks with my soy milk that has 6 grams of sugar is that ok??  I am lactose intolerent and can't use milk.  Any knowledge on this would be great, I am a bit confused on this one.  Patti
sexyo7
on 12/19/07 12:26 pm - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 11/28/07 with
Hi I just had my surgery Nov 28 and the light silk is the only one I have used when I need milk so it should be okay for you                             Barbara
DanielleH_RD
on 12/19/07 1:16 pm - CA
Soy milk and cow's milk both have sugar - but it's not added sugar necessarily.  These foods have carbohydrates in them that are simple (so they count as sugars), but occur naturally in the product. The sugar added chocolate flavored version might be a no-no, but the regular version should be fine.
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

K-in-PA
on 12/29/07 3:49 am - PA

I use the Unsweetened Silk Soy milk in the green container.  It has only 1g sugar per one cup serving.  With 7g protein.  Sometimes splash in a bit of SF syrup (Davinci, Torani etc...).  When making my protein shake, I normally use only water.  (still get 18-19g protein from the designer whey protein) Sometimes I'll mix 1/2 water with 1/2 unsweetened soy milk for a "thicker" taste.  

Most Active