not able to eat

jojotatwomen
on 12/19/07 8:27 am
Hi.I had my surgery on October 30th and I really am having a hard time eating No fish,chicken turkey agrees with me.Do you have any meal suggestions?Also,will I ever be able to eat rice,cheese pasta,pizza steak ,hamburg again???Thank you
LizzyL
on 12/19/07 9:31 am - NY
RNY on 06/08/04 with
Hello , i am over 3 years post op. and to be honest....... i STILL have a hard time eating all meats. :-( i mainly eat fish.... because it is nice and soft and easy to swallow.... what I did in the begining of my early post op days..... i use to put all my meats into my food proccessor and chop it up and make it softer for me to swallow. i did whatever it took to get my protein in. so thats what i did in the very beginning of my early post op days. i limit myself with rice .... i hardly ever eat rice.... if I do it is just a tablespoon , like just a taste and that is all. With pizza..... i make my own pizza.....i make it a lot healthier then the pizza places. when i make the pizza dough. i use multigrain flour and add flaxseed meal and high fiber cereal from red mill's. for the toppings - fat free cheeses ,  cut up thinly sliced chicken strips and i use all fresh vegies :-) i never eat the REAL pizza... ONE taste of the REAL THING.... I know me , i will go right back to my OLD eating habits. so i stay FAR away from the REAL pizza!!!! i just change up the recipe and eat healthier pizza.... for cheese's... i notice when i eat cheese's of any kind i tend to over eat them and then i gain weight..... and sometimes i have a hard time using the bathroom  if I eat cheese a lot. So with cheese's i stay away from them....  i don't want to get blocked up ...  :-( With Pasta , IF i eat pasta ....i usually again go for the healthy multigrain pasta's. anad portion out just ONE seriving size and that is all i eat. with steak ...  oh yum... i use to LOVE steak before surgery. i still do. i eat steak once a while and i need to CUT it all up into TINY pieces  and CHEW CHEW CHEW well enough so it will go down easy and not get stuck. so with caution... you can eat steak :-) Hamburgers....oh yes mam! i love turkey burgers....  i usually do not finish the whole entire burger but i do eat hamburgers. IF i do eat bread it is usually multigrain high fiber ligh english muffin. i do still eat these kind of foods.... i just eat very small portions of them and eat them all in MODERATION  :-) but if I do notice that i am abusing one food... then that food is OUT of here! like cheese's , pizza's..., protein bars, 100-calorie snack packs, popcorn, pretzels. these kind of foods are UNHEALTHY CARBY SNACKS that can TRIGGER your old eating habits. do not start eating those snacks if you can not eat them  in MODERATION - ONCE A WEEK ONLY! The foods that you mention...in your post you will have to eat them to see if you can tolerate these kind of foods and see if you will gain weight or not.... if you do gain from eating these foods ... cut back on your portion size and eat less. Do not start eating any foods that are not on your surgeon's food stage / phase. ALWAYS Stay within your surgeon's diet guidelines if you have questions ... you can always call your surgeon's office and ask :-) best wishes to you happy holidays hugss Lizzy

Hugs & Kisses
Lizzybee2.gif

jojotatwomen
on 12/20/07 5:38 am
you are like a breathe of fresh air.Thank you so much for taking your time to really help me.Your response really did help me out alot.Yes,I will be very carefull not to slip into the old habits and if I do,it is out the door.God Bless and have a very merry Christmas season and I really hope to hear from you,Thanx
jwinrrtx
on 12/19/07 7:46 pm, edited 12/19/07 7:46 pm - Round Rock, TX

I am so glad to meet someone else with this same issue.   I had surgery the same day & cannot eat chicken, turkey...well any meat.  It doesn't matter how it's cooked, how soft it is...I cannot handle it. I can chew it to a pulp...it does not matter. I throw it up.

I can eat some fish (thank goodness) and chili has saved my life.  I see others posting what they eat & they're eating tv dinners, etc... and I am still only eating a few bites here & there & I wondered if there was something wrong with me. It is frustrating but it has to get better right?

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore,
is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle

jojotatwomen
on 12/20/07 5:32 am
wow,I am not alone!I am told that it will get better.It is so strange when i eat these things,first my eyes hurt(honest)then my ears get numb,then the chest pain frothing.No fun.So what are ya eating?hope to hear from you soon
jwinrrtx
on 12/21/07 2:14 am - Round Rock, TX
Hi. I eat Chili a lot, string cheese, and fish--both fresh & tuna.  'm still relying on my protein shakes for the majority of my protein.  Hopefully this will start to get better soon.

Aristotle

jojotatwomen
on 12/21/07 7:38 am
Is your protien shake,bena protien or soy?God Bless Jo-Jo
Melia *
on 12/23/07 11:06 am - Dallas, TX
Are you eating homemade Chili? I'm from TX too and I tried Hormel's 98% Fat-Free Turkey Chili and I dumped for the first time. I only had 2 small plastic spoonfuls.

People would enjoy life more if, once they got what they wanted, they could remember how much they wanted it.
jwinrrtx
on 12/21/07 7:47 am - Round Rock, TX
Hi JoJo  I use the 100% whey. I haven't tried the soy proteins yet...how about you?

Aristotle

jojotatwomen
on 12/24/07 5:44 am
I have not been doing any shakes yet.I guess my hair will fall out in the 3rd month more if I dont,you heard anything???
Most Active