Had My BMR tested..

LizzyL
on 12/21/07 12:48 am - NY
RNY on 06/08/04 with
Hello Danielle, i need to stick up for the peanuts ...lol :-) this is my point of view on peanuts... I just wanted to mention that .....if you do eat peanuts in moderation... and measure them out ...so that it is only one serving size which I do....always............. because of well....... like you said ,  they are very high in fat and they are also high in calories peanuts are a good healthy snack. instead of ..100 calorie snack packs, pretzels, or other carby snacks......etc because 100 calorie snack packs and other carby snacks are actually trigger foods for some people , like me.  :-( so ...........i need to stay away from those trigger foods. i rather eat peanuts.... before i eat any trigger foods. so eating peanuts are working well for me ....as a snack. While peanuts may have a bad reputation for having high calories and fats Peanuts provide ....antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and healthy oils Fats are essential to give your body energy and  to support cell growth. They also help protect your organs and  help keep your body warm.  - ( Which I need more of , lol i am so cold ) Fats help your body absorb some nutrients healthy fats help women throughout the menstrual life cycle eating mixed nuts are excellent source of the good fats that are essential in our diets. i do agree with you.... peanuts are not a staple diet food. when you are trying hard to watching your diet  then we need to cut back on our fats... and watch how much you are actually eating. although i am at goal and have been maintaining my weight for over a year and a half. and eating peanuts everyday for a snack ...is not hurting my diet. i do watch my diet and i am very careful ... if I do have a problem in the future i will know to cut back on my peanut snacks....lol thank you so much for always helping us here. thank you for your advice you are very much appreicated and also thank you for your point of view on this as well. you are so helpful.... Happy Holidays to you and your family hugss Lizzy

Hugs & Kisses
Lizzybee2.gif

DanielleH_RD
on 12/21/07 5:40 am - CA
As a nut, I get to give my 2 cents back on nuts. :) Peanuts are technically not a nut, but a legume.  They grow on bushes, not on trees.  There is a lot of data out on the benefits of nuts in the diet (I know this because I trained at Loma Linda University, and they did a HUGE study on walnuts). The nuts that give you the most benefit are "tree nuts" such as walnuts.  They are higher in fiber, lower in fat, and higher in the antioxidants/phytochemicals you mention. My caution in having nuts as a staple in the diet is that it is easy to over do them.  I understand that you have this issue under control, but others reading this may see your post and think peanuts are a free food.  As we used to joke in school - it's 9 peanuts to the mile (corny dietitian humor...) what this means is that peanuts are a dense source of calories and you have to walk a mile to get rid of just 9 of them.  Something for a person to consider when planning their diet and exercise. I additionally caution the use of nuts because the people on this site are mostly trying to lose or control their weight.  It's nice to know which foods may cause you problems.  And I'm here to help! Thanks for your comments - this has been an interesting thread! Happy Holidays - yikes 4 days left!
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

LizzyL
on 12/21/07 8:44 pm - NY
RNY on 06/08/04 with
HI Danielle YOU and the other nutritionist's....are just like a snapple bottle....lol because ...... i can get a whole other college education ... just by reading this nutrition message board and learning from you awesome nutritionist's here... you all are extremely helpful i am so greatful and thankful that you all are here... i do apologize ....in the future , i will tell people on this website to be caution while eating peanuts and other mixed nuts. as they are high in fats and not a diet staple food. I disagree with you on WALNUTS.... walnuts are NOT the best NUT out there. YOU ARE the BEST NUT out there.... haha ...lol :-) thank you Danielle that is very interesting. i really thought  all nuts  were good for us to eat. because its a good fat in nuts.... thank you again. i might have to pick your brain later ... after the holidays on some things  that i have an issue with...... P.S .... Please ...Danielle  IF you could read my post HERE  i would be very happy.... i just am confused on this i just would like to know if this is normal for me to feel at over 3 years post op. and just so you know my blood work came back all normal. please give me your professional advice on my post. and if I should adjust somethings in my diet or anything else that i am doing. maybe cut back on my nutty snacks ....hehehe...lol is the fats keeping me full longer or what could it be ? thanks so much for all your help. your help is so much appreciated. Happy Holidays!!!! hugss Lizzy

Hugs & Kisses
Lizzybee2.gif

MelissaF
on 12/21/07 3:41 am - Northwood, IA
HI Danielle, thanks again.. as always you are so wonderful. Yes, we are all carb fearers aren't we?  I will try what you recommended, increasing a little in each area, I love that idea.  I was just worried that if I get too much protein what would I be doing to my kidneys etc.  I will keep doing what you recommended and thanks for the compliments :)  I need those pom poms shook to remind me I suppose!  The life I lived preop to now is vastly different and keeps me wanting to be successful at this.  I wasn't alive preop, I was living life on the sidelines and looking at life from a distance unhealthy and wishing I could be a part of life again.  That person is "over" as far as I am concerned and never want to revisit that life of misery.  Thus my anxiety I feel.  I will take what you told me and try to make little changes. Thanks for the uplifment and have great holidays also!  We appreciate you so much!
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

Most Active