Gastric Banding

xtr3me_sunshine
on 12/18/07 10:53 am
I am a Certified Personal Trainer/Nutrition Counselor & Licensed Massage Therapist . I have been approached by a new client of mine who has had gastric banding (May 2006) and has asked if I could help him with eating properly. Only thing is I have never worked with anyone who has had gastric banding before. I have researched the procedure etc and understand what has taken place in his body. He states after taking 3 or 4 bites of his meals he becomes full. I would like to know what I could recommend that would fullfill his daily nutrition requirements with such few calories and not be harmful to him. Any help at all would be appreciated.  I know a good Dietician in the area I was thinking about refering him to. I would still like to know what you think though, for my own information.
sarard
on 12/18/07 12:51 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
I think he should be referred to a dietitian. The lap band (gastric banding) is a very restrictive procedure. It's designed so he is full after 3-4 bites of food. Typically the pouch is 1 oz or so. There is no way to fulfill his daily nutrition requirements.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Most Active