too much protein?????

cheermama1993
on 12/17/07 6:39 am - Fontana, CA

is it possible to get to much protein?  i get about 80 to 100 grams a day.  i never miss a day.  also i am 10 weeks out and at a bit of a stall but i know thats normal. 

my other concern is what should  my calories, fat and carbs be at for this stage?  i can eat with no problems.  i exercise 5 days a week.  3 miles treadmill 2 miles bike, arm weights, ab crunches and inter and outer thigh crunchs.  am i doing enough to lose weight?  eating enough exercises enough? PLEASE HELP

sarard
on 12/17/07 12:13 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Hello, Yes, you can eat too much protein - you can eat too much of anything, really. However, 80-100 grams per day is not too much. Sounds like you're doing just fine in the protein department. Everyone's fat, protein, carb calories are different. It's hard for me to give you an estimation without discussing your medical history, your medications, your diet history, detailed daily exercise, surgical history and weight loss history. There are a lot of components that go into estimating your nutritional needs. It is very individualized. I'd recommend discussing with the dietitian that works with your surgeon. If you don't have a dietitian, then you may considering asking for a referral to one, or look for a dietitian in your area to go over your specific nutrient requirements. What I can tell you, is that based on what you've told me, you are on the right track. You are exercising plenty & eating a good amount of protein. If you are lifting weights to BUILD muscle, you may need more protein. But if you are lifting to tone muscle, or maintain, then you are likely meeting all your needs. Don't forget the vitamins (B12, Iron, Calcuim, and a multivitamin) - and as always, be sure you are drinking enough water -- especially since you are getting so much exercise. GOOD JOB!!
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Most Active