Bread question

one hot mama
on 12/17/07 3:39 am - Tennessee/ Alabama

I am on stage 3 and its going pretty good except last night I made chicken salad. I have to say it is just weird not eating it with bread.

So My question is......Can I toast whole wheat bread and eat it with chicken salad? Like maybe a half a piece with the crust cut off? I just found it hard to eat the big ole blob of mush with out it. 

Army Wife
(deactivated member)
on 12/17/07 4:30 am - Cleveland Heights, OH

What do your surgeon's guidelines suggest?  I wasn't allowed to try any breads or bread-products until 6-8 weeks out.  Plus I think my pouch would have revolted if I tried it any sooner...  A lot of folks feel very uncomfortable if they eat bread, even if it's toasted, until they are a bit further out from their surgery date.   Have you tried iceberg lettuce?  If your pouch can tolerate that, perhaps you can wrap your chicken salad in a piece of iceberg for some crunch and flavor.  Just a thought -  Good luck on your continuing journey -  Kellie

one hot mama
on 12/17/07 9:00 am - Tennessee/ Alabama

Yeah I talked to my Bariatric Nurse tonight and she said take a small bite and wait and see how it feels but she would rather I wait its ok it was more of a shock to eat chicken salad with no bread, just a habit thing no big deal I am waiting for another 3 weeks It all Gravy.

Thanks for your input though

Susan 

Army Wife
sarard
on 12/17/07 12:18 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Bread is tricky. Some people tolerate it, most don't. Sometimes toasting your bread helps, sometimes it doesn't. My suggestion: try your chicken salad on crackers. It's not the same as bread, I know, but it's better than the blob of mush. That is, of course, if crackers are OK with your surgeon's guidelines. :)
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
vtbrnidgrl
on 12/23/07 1:17 pm - Chesapeake, VA
You may have received the answers you were looking for, but I thought I would pipe in and tell you my experience.  I am a little over 5 months out and can tolerate most anything EXCEPT bread.  I can eat crackers, popcorn, pretzels, but not bread, tortilla shells, english muffins....nothing!  I have tried toasting the bread products to see if it helps, but it does not.  I don't dump, but it feels as if I have a rock in my stomach if I eat bread.  I am not too concerned because hey it is not something that will help me lose weight, but I completely understand wanting the bread.  I was a CARB JUNKIE pre-op, but am adjusting to the lack of carbs in my new life!  Hope this helps! 305/202/150 P/C/G
Most Active