Nutritional deficiency

landrycm
on 12/17/07 12:31 am - Aurora, CO
I am almost 2 years post op, and I just delivered a baby 4 months ago. I had labs drawn and my  B-12 was 397 (low) and my prealbumin was 18 (also low). I have lots of symptoms from fatigue, headaches, memory loss, gas, lack of appetite, tingling in hands etc etc. Has anyone experienced this? I wasn't taking my supplements regularly but I have been for the last week, but I'm not feeling better yet. I'm very discouraged. I still need to lose 5 pounds to get to my prepregnancy weight. But I got pregnant only 9 months after RNY. I still have 45 pounds from there to go. I haven't lost a pound in 3 months and I wonder now if I ever will. Honestly, I haven't been following the plan 100%. My main concern has been eating enough to keep my milk supply up for nursing.  I wonder even if I did follow the rules for the tool if I'd lose at all??? I guess my main concern right now needs to be getting my nutrition in order so I'm not risking my health. Just really bummed today.
sarard
on 12/17/07 2:16 am - Costa Mesa, CA
HI, Well, every lab has different reference ranges, but your B12 and Prealbumin look good to me. The lab I deal with has a B12 normal range from 211-910, and Prealbumin 18-25 as normal. So, if these labs are low for you, how low are they (based on your lab ranges)? In addition - if you just started to take your supplements regularly last week - then it will take some time to "kick in". The vitamins YOU should be taking are: Prenatal vitamin, Iron, Calcium, B12 & B1. Your caloric needs are higher due to breast feeding. At this time, I would STRONGLY encourage you to eat a healthy diet - minimal junk food - your body needs all the nutrition it can get to care for the baby. Weight loss should be secondary for you right now. Try to eat everyday: at LEAST 2 pieces of fruit, at LEAST 2 servings of vegetables, at LEAST 8 oz of lean meat, at LEAST 2 cups of low fat milk, at LEAST 6 servings of whole grain bread, rice, potato or pasta. In addition - be sure to keep your fluid at a minimum of 64 oz per day. Fluid helps with milk production more than food - believe it or not. In addition, if you are having trouble maintaining your milk supply, Fenugreek is a great supplement to take to help keep it up. My baby is 10 months old and I would never have been able to keep my milk up without the Fenugreek. Good luck -- get your supplements in and try not to worry too much about the scale right now. If you are feeling sluggish - try to exercise a bit more rather than reduce your food intake. :)
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Most Active