protein supplements

rtinnin
on 12/17/07 2:57 am - TX
I am 1 year out from RNY as of yesterday 12/16/2007.  Is it possible to meet my bodies protein needs through just meals, or do you advise that I still supplement with protein shakes etc...?  All my lab work has been very good. I also know it is important to continue to take my vitamins, but just out of curiosity what would be the effedts of me not taking the vitamins like I should and how long before I see the effects?  Thank you I appreciate any and all
sarard
on 12/17/07 3:03 am - Costa Mesa, CA
You must take your vitamins for LIFE. If you're a typical RNY - then your duodenum has been bypassed and the vitamins that are normally absorbed there : calcium, iron, copper, selenium, thiamin, folate .... to name a few -- will not be absorbed from your food. So, you must take Iron, calcium, a multivitamin and B12 for LIFE. Sorry. Protein shakes, on the other hand, can be discontinued. My clients usually take them for the first 9-10 months and then they can typically get enough protein from food. If your current diet meets your protein need, then yes, you can discontinue your protein supplement. But to prevent vitamin deficiency, you must continue your vitamins .
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
rtinnin
on 12/17/07 3:18 am - TX
Thanks for the info, can you recommend a vitamin supplement that I can take where I don't have to take sooooooo many pills?  Is there one multivitamin that can meet my vitamin needs?  I hate taking like five and 6 huge pills!!  is there something with the multi, calcium citrate etc?  Have you heard of a VISAVITAMIN?  what is that?  Thanks!  Oh and maybe you can answer this!  Have you heard that meds can not be as effective after RNY?  I seem to have trouble not getting maxomum effect from some medications like I use to!  Example I was prescribed Ambien because I do shift work and was having trouble sleeping.  The med works fairly quickly and is supposed to help me sleep from 6-8 hours, but only woeks about 3hours for me.  My PCP tried to switch me to Ambien CR, but the same thing happens about 3 hours of sleep, and then I am awake.  My PCP said he thought perhaps the reason was because the med is usually absorpted in the stomach by the hydrochloric acid and my body is now altered and he thought maybe by the time the second layer is supposed to kick in the meds have already passed through, so I am not recieving maximum benefits, and with the regular Ambien he thought the same thing it is just passing through quickly.  I have noticed that it takes more tylenol for headaches or cold meds for a cold!  thanks
katsanchez
on 12/17/07 3:26 am - Amarillo, TX
I know I'm just 2 weeks out of surgery, but I have found the couple at Innovative nutrition to be sooo helpful with the vitamins... they can help you find what you need. You may have already talked to them but they have certainly always helped me.
sarard
on 12/17/07 12:33 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
A vitamin supplement that combines all ..... gosh, good question. If there are vitamin manufactures out there cruising the boards ..... (sometimes they do to see what you guys like and what you don't -- and to read what everyone is talking about -- I know the UNJURY people read these posts .... ) Anyway -- you've got a great idea and I hope someone comes up with a "all-in-one" vitamin. As far as I know, it doesn't exist, but things change so quickly ..... The B-vitamins come in a B-complex - which is one pill - here's a secret: B vitamins don't have to be taken daily (unless you've been found to have a deficiency). So, if you take your B-complex Monday, Wednesday, Friday (or something like that), then you're cutting back a bit. B vitamins can also be taken by injection - so if you don't mind having a monthly shot instead of the pill ... if taken by injection, then you only have to take it monthly - not daily. It's an option. There are multivitamins that have Iron and Calcium mixed in -- and they will probably do the trick for men -- however, for women, we need more calcium and more iron than men, so unfortunately, even if you have a multi that has added calcium and iron, you'll still have to supplement. But, that makes 3-4 vitamins per day - don't take your iron and calcium together -- keep them separate for maximum absorption. As far as absorption of med with the pouch ... it's absolutely effected, you're right. The details on why it's not working as well - or what you can do to about it ... check with the pharmacist. They can answer more questions about medication that a dietitian and your doctor put together. Most pharmacists have a doctorate degree --- they've studied medications ---- they'd probably be able to recommend a different drug for you - or recommend a different way the doctor can order it --- sometimes they come in different suspensions -- in any event -- make a trip to the local pharmacy and ask -- they can guide you much better than I can ....
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
one hot mama
on 12/17/07 3:32 am - Tennessee/ Alabama
There is a pill that desolve at wal mart for your B12 is called B12 Dot you stick it on your tongue and it desolves its in the vitamin section in the B12 area. That eliminates one pill the calcium citrate comes in a chewable there goes two pills and your multi vitamin can also be chewable. So you see no popping any pills except maybe Iron if you have to take that.
 Army Wife
Nicole T.
on 12/20/07 10:22 pm
Hi, I am experimenting with all types of vitamins. There are chewables you can get and there are a bunch of online stores that cater to bariatric patients. I am also trying out different spray vitamins. You just spray them in your mouth. I am using vitamist which has all types of options including a multi-vitamin, b12 (500mg) and colloidal minerals. the vitamins are absorbed by the lining in your mouth. hope this hleps. you can find vitamist by googling the name. good luck.
Most Active