Protein Majority Consumed in Morning or Night???

wendy_fou
on 12/15/07 1:05 am - AR
I very recently noticed that if I do not get in the majority of my protein in the morning (via protein bullet mixed in crystal light), that I actually feel a little hungry and/or feel like I have the munchies.  It is kind of an empty feeling more than hunger.  It's almost like my body knows it didn't get its morning protein and is pissed off about it.  LOL However, if I get in my morning protein (via protein bullet mixed in crystal light), I actually physically feel better and more satisfied (no empty feeling) throughout the day.  I feel satisfied and just down right better all day long.   Has anyone else noticed that if they get the majority of their protein in at breakfast time instead of later in the day or night that they feel better and more satisfied throughout the day?  Just curious. 
kelly W.
on 12/16/07 2:51 pm - CA
Hey, i don't want to sound ignorant, but what is a protein bullet? I'm scheduled for surgery in January and am trying to make sure that i get the protein i need!  Thanks, Kelly
wendy_fou
on 12/16/07 10:04 pm - AR

Protein bullets are what most post-ops call liquid vials of protein.  They are usually around 3 ounces and have anywhere from 25 to 42 grams of protein in them.  They come in a few flavors. I order mine from www.fitnessfirstusa.com: and if you go to that site and type in "liquid protein" in the search box on the left, you can see what they look like.  I order the "New Whey 42" ones that are 3.1 ounces and have 42 grams of protein in them.  I have already tried fruit punch and grape.  I just ordered orange to try it too.   They sell some at GNC called "Protein Slam" that have 2.9 ounces and 27 grams of protein.  They come in fruit punch and peach flavors.  If you have a Smoothie King near you, they sell the "New Whey 42" bullets in singles.  Protein bullets are the ONLY way I could get in all my protein every day.  (I hate the powders.)   I'm glad to see you're looking into protein PRE-op.  I didn't and had to scramble to find something I liked post-op which is much more stressful than if I had have had it worked out pre-op.   Good luck! 

Kim M.
on 12/19/07 12:15 am - Mansfield, MO
I have a case of the bullets 42g and I just can't stand them UGH, so I started drinking the Nectar protein mixes and I love them, so I make a double in the morning to drink on the way to work...it has 46 grams of protein, but I am always hungry!! and its not head hunger, its actual empty rumblin hunger....maybe I should switch back to the new whey bullets....I can't recall if they helped or not because I haven't tried to drink one since about 2 months out..but now I'm 4 months out and hungry all the time and starting to feel like if I don't get this kicked soon I will fail at my surgery.. :(  I thought protein was supposed to curb hunger but it isn't working for me...anyone know why?
 kim m.
RNY (08-07-07)
305/286/185/160
hw / sw/ cw /goal 
www.happyweightloss.net

wendy_fou
on 12/19/07 4:00 am - AR
Have you tried mixing the 42 g bullets with crystal light to mask the taste?  That's what I do and I can't hardly taste them at all that way.  If I had to drink them straight, I would !
Kim M.
on 12/19/07 4:27 am - Mansfield, MO
I haven't tried them like that for a long while, I may try again...since i have so many of the gross things...argh....what flavor crystal light do you mix yours with..I tried lemonade but maybe will try a stronger flavor like cherry or something......gahhh they are just sooo nasty..I actually tried the holding my nose to drink them and just do them straight and get it over with....that didn't work I   now even the smell of them makes me green....
 kim m.
RNY (08-07-07)
305/286/185/160
hw / sw/ cw /goal 
www.happyweightloss.net

wendy_fou
on 12/19/07 6:06 am - AR
If I'm drinking a grape bullet, I mix it with grape crystal light (or some generic brand crystal light). If I'm drinking a fruit punch bullet, I mix it with fruit punch crystal light. It just makes the crystal light taste more flavorful (and not in a bad way) LOL
Most Active