How much protein?

lacyhuff81
on 12/13/07 11:14 pm
Hi friends! I'm a pre op and I am trying to figure out how much protein I'll be expected to take in post surgery daily.  I would like to start taking in the reccomended amount or more now so I can prepare for it! This would be extremely helpful!  Thanks so much.
pearlnecklace
on 12/14/07 10:11 am - independence, MO
Hello, according to my doctor I'm supposed to have a total of 60-70 grams a day of protein. I had the lapband.
wendy_fou
on 12/15/07 12:25 am - AR
I have NEVER heard a surgeon or NUT/RD recommend less than 60 grams per day, so it's a good bet you'll be at least that.  Some recommend 80 or 90 though.  It will depend on your surgeon/NUT/RD. 
sarard
on 12/17/07 2:58 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Well, if your pre-op, your probably taking in more than the recommended amount for a post-op person. Protein is difficult to get in post-op due to the small size of the pouch. That's why so many are having to take protein supplements. Your surgeon should be working along side a dietitian who will estimate your protein needs for you -- it's not the same for everyone. However, typically, people fall into the 45-80 g per day. If your surgeon does not work with a dietitian - then you may want to ask him or her for a referral to one, or see if your surgeon can give you your estimated protein needs. You can also search for a dietitian on your one if necessary.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
joanipedi
on 12/22/07 7:53 am - Justice, IL
I had my surgery (RNY) in May 06. I lost 150 lbs, but I still dont eta alot of protein. How do I get my protein in, I cant drink the shakes, and the bars are so high in sugar and carbs. I usually eat chicken or pork at dinner, but in the morning I have a bagel and dont eat again until dinner. I can eat a full size plate of food.
Most Active