Detoxification

(deactivated member)
on 12/6/07 2:07 am - Vacaytown, HI
Is it ok to take a detoxification supplement (not laxative) such as ultimate cleanse?  It consists of a fiber tablet and organ detox herbs.  It is for regulation of Bms too.  The reason I ask is that I find I can go 5 days without a bm and it doesnt feel healthy.  It also instructs o drink 8-10 glasses of water.  The goal is to achieve 2 bms per day.  My dietician told me that you shold have this many so my pattern was irregular.  Thanks for any help.
LizzyL
on 12/7/07 10:13 pm, edited 12/7/07 10:17 pm - NY
RNY on 06/08/04 with
Hello Jess, because you do not eat enough food and don't get enough calories throughout the day , this could be why you haven't had any BM's lately. Once you get the calories and food in you  , you will have regular BM's. this is what happened to me.... if I don't eat enough food and calories i will not have regular BM's. My suggestion is to work on getting enough FOOD and CALORIES in FIRST ........ before starting any detoxing ......... Jess , it worked for me.... really. i get enough calories and food in me and that got me go to the bathroom every single day granted.... i have to force myself to eat every 2 -3 hours or i can't use the bathroom regularly and i will get sick and faint....  so i MUST eat to just to stay healthy and not get sick. even if I have NO desire to EAT! I have to FORCE myself to eat. try eating Light Multigrain english muffin.  ( EAT the WHOLE entire muffin )  it has 8 grams of fiber in it. :-) eat oatmeal ... it also has high fiber in it. try to eat foods that have at least 3- 4 Grams of fiber or higher fibers in the foods. OR HIGHER fber the more fiber ...the better it is for you to use the bathromm regularly!! eat a diet low in fat and high in whole grain products, fruits, and vegetables  that contain dietary fiber ! look up in google.com  and  research what   fruits and vegies and whole grain foods ... are HIGH in FIBER.....  ..........and eat them! :-) If everyone eats this way , this may reduce people's risk of certain caners. Eating a diet high in fiber may also help people maintain a healthy weight because fiber containing foods tend to help promote the feeling of fullness maybe this is why i don't feel hungry..... because i do eat a lot of whole grain foods , fruits and vegies. i eat at least 3 servings of vegies and i try to eat 2 servings of whole grain foods throughout the day. I eat small amounts of these foods but i do EAT through out the day - every 2 - 3 hours. Once you get your eating schedule together and start eating enough foods and get calories in i promise you , you will start to have BM's. because like i said , this happened to me too. i was not eating and not getting enough CALORIES or FIBER in me  to have regular BM's. NOW i have regular BM's .... i go everyday. if I don't eat enough FOOD and calories and get enough FIBER in my diet , i will not be regular. try detoxing with natural foods FIRST before using detoxing cleansers in other forms. My mother in law uses detoxing cleansers and she became addicted to it and abuse's it .... she denies it up and down that she is addicted to it.... but without using detoxing cleanser... she can not go to the bathroom...  and this will harm the body IF she keeps on using it and if she doesn't stop depending on the detox cleanser to be regular everyday. Detox the natural way .... with the help of .......whole grain foods , fruits and vegies. HIGH FIBER FOODS just some things to think about. hugss Lizzy

Hugs & Kisses
Lizzybee2.gif

(deactivated member)
on 12/7/07 11:52 pm - Vacaytown, HI
I definately have lost my judgement in food and have a skewed food view.  I almost feel like food is the enemy.  This hasnt always been the case but since I had some bad things happen to me (PTSD) I started slowly feeling this way.  Now I dont really know.  Every bite I eat feels bad.  But I do eat, but I know not enough,  Some days are better than others.  I did eat this AM... Crumpet from trader joes.  I know I probably should have had eggs or something more protein based.  I do take my protein supplements.  Mainly bc I feel bad if I dont.  I dont know where Im headed in all of this but with the detox I have regular MBs.  Im due to stop it anyway and Ill take fiber supplements.  I definately dont get enough fiber.  I do take my vitamins religiously and drink my water.  When you are out and about town its hard to get tha****er in though bc I have to go to the bathroom a lot when im drinking water.  But anyway thanks for the advice!!!  Jess
sarard
on 12/8/07 1:58 am - Costa Mesa, CA
I totally agree with LizzyL - the only thing I'd add to her post is to drink adequate fluid - somewhere in the ballpark of 64 oz per day. When you increase your fiber you increase your need for water. I don't promote and detox cleans - I actually would tell you to avoid them - unless you are having a colonoscopy or some medical procedure - --- but taking them just to have a BM - absolutely not. Being "regular" is different for every person and does depend on how much you eat. If you are not eating, there is minimal waste for you body to get rid of. = less BM. However, if you usually have a BM every 5 days and it's painful and you have to strain, then you are constipated and may need a little help going. Milk of Magnesia is a safer choice, or a little Colace. These have a risk of dependence too, but not as great as the "detox" things. If you are not straining or having bloodly or mucus-like BMs every five days, then, potentially this could be "regular" for you. If you do have PTSD (resulting from problems) - you may be focusing on your food to have something in your life to control - this is disordered eating and can go hand-in-hand with PTSD. You may be thinking of your food as something you can control or have a handle on when everything else is going bad or wrong. It's important that you seek the advice of a health professional. A psychotherapist or related field. It's not uncommon for people who have had WLS to turn their attention to food after a major trauma or something bad happening in their lives. I've seen it before. I hope you are able to seek the help you need. This could spiral out of control without professional help.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
(deactivated member)
on 12/8/07 2:07 am - Vacaytown, HI
I definately do the fluid thing now.  I have been getting a good amount of water.  Yes I had a pattern of not having them for a while and when thy do come its awful almost like I had an impaction or something.  It just doesnt move wekll through my system then I get explosive.  I am getting professional help and was in a day program that gave me regular snacks etc.  However now that that program ended I seem to be going back to soe bad thinking and habits and also as my return to work date is close.  I do believe its about control.  I am seeing a psychiatrist as well.  Its hard though as this world seems to honor these behaviors sometimes.  Look at out beauty standards... sickening.  Jess
sarard
on 12/8/07 2:22 am - Costa Mesa, CA
I'm sorry this is happening to you. I'm glad you are seeing a psychiatrist. Is it helping? I agree that the world looks at us like we SHOULDN'T be eating - that we are wrong for do so. And beauty stands --- I know. But really, sit down and think to yourself -- WHAT IS HEALTHY? Some people are blessed with good genes and they can eat everything they want and stay skinny. Some people have oodles of plastic surgery to maintain their perfect size 2 - and some people simply don't eat. But really, when it comes down to it -- WHAT IS HEALTHY FOR YOU? What will make you feel good and help you to enjoy your life? It may help to journal your feelings about food and then discuss those feelings with your psychiatrist. Still regarding BMs, have you tried to use something less harsh - like Milk of Magnesia or Colace? Personally, I've used milk of magnesia in the past and it really helped me ....
Registered Dietitian
(deactivated member)
on 12/8/07 2:28 am - Vacaytown, HI
Maybe Ill ask the Dr when I see gim and hell have a suggestion for me.  As for what is healthy for me my judgement is off now so Im working on that.  Did you see that show Superskinny me... I feel kind of like the taller girl on that show.  I do have my hubby that advisesme what I should eat and that helps.  I just need to start viewing food as good not the enemy.  I get frustrated with my extra skin as well.  It makes me look bigger than I am.  Then I get that muffin top thing.  Thanks for your help and support.  I truly appreciate it!!!!!!
sarard
on 12/8/07 6:42 am - Costa Mesa, CA
I hope that, with time, you find your way.  :)  You're not alone in this new battle.  I wonder if there is a support group for people like you who are post WLS and now finding themselves with disordered eating?  If you know of something, let me know - may be a good resource for some of my clients who have had the same problem.  If I hear of anything, I'll keep you updated too. 
Registered Dietitian
(deactivated member)
on 12/8/07 7:39 am - Vacaytown, HI
Thanks I dont know of any of those programs and have searched.  I think the thing about it I never had any eating disorders in my life and there was no way to know in the future I would have been harassed and been so profoundly effected by it that I now have this eating problem.  No screening on this earth would have predicted that.
LizzyL
on 12/10/07 10:35 pm - NY
RNY on 06/08/04 with
Hi Jess, i am very sorry. I did not know you were going through such a hard time right now. i can not imagine what you are going through going through. It will take some time to heal from this PTSD ,i am sure. You will get through this... PLEASE hang in there i will always be here to help you and support you email me anytime if you like to chat. hugss Lizzy

Hugs & Kisses
Lizzybee2.gif

Most Active