What to eat?

bookworm
on 12/4/07 5:32 am - Douglasville, GA
For Christmas with my job we are going to an Italian/greek resturant, I'm 21/2 months out, any ideas on what I can eat?

Candice M.
on 12/5/07 8:43 pm - Birmingham, AL
Funny that happened to me not long after my surgery!   Our boss took us out for a birthday in the office...  I asked if I could just order meatballs... they brought me 2 giant meatballs & I could only eat 1!   I suggest you check the menu ahead of time... I always do this!  Convienient if places have a menu online especially... that way you plan ahead of time & don't get tempted or confused.  A lot of places are now offering healthy choices... if not... don't be afraid to specify what you want.  I always substitute sides  for what  is best for me, ask for sauces & dressings on the side & ask that things aren't cooked in extra butter.  Also if you choose a larger portion meal and aren't sharing with someone, ask for the to go box with your meal so you can put up what you know you can't eat then you aren't tempted to keep going and make yourself sick.  Have fun!!
sarard
on 12/8/07 2:10 am - Costa Mesa, CA
I'd recommend getting something that is not too cheesy (some people can't do the melted cheese in the tiny pouch), nothing with bread, avoid noodles (unless you've tried them and can tolerate them). Look for something on the menu that has meat and vegetables. Make sure the meat is soft -- like ground beef (meatballs) or seafood (any kind). Don't try a new food at the restaurant - it could be terrible to get sick or fell bad during a holiday party -- with your co-workers!!
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Most Active