Slim Jim vs. beef jerky?

divandet
on 12/3/07 12:41 pm
Hi, I read about beef jerky as a great snack due to the protein. Are Slim Jim's the same as beef jerky? I know that the sodium is high in the Slim Jim. But can I eat or substiture them for the beef jerky? If not, what is a good brand of beef jerky to try. Thanks
Brandi F.
on 12/3/07 2:57 pm - Hamburg, PA
I love Slim Jims, but I avoid them because they are so greasy/fatty. Beef jerky isn't, so I stick to that.

Lap RNY on 8-21-07
I'm 5'2'', I'm 34 years old, and I have 175 pounds to lose!!

Robin W.
on 12/4/07 2:44 am - Franklin, OH
I can not eat Slim Jims way to much fat I dump on them. I can eat beef jerky. I really don't eat it that much to know brand names. Just make sure you read the lable and watch for those fat grams.  Robin

4'10" - 47 I'm short but not petite and I will weigh more than a 5th grader
Start weight 220 
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"  Dr. Seuss

Jupiter6
on 12/4/07 7:43 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
I can HIGHLY suggest Trader Joe's Turkey Jerky. It's easily digested, tastes sweet (NOTE! Has sugar--I think 5-8 grams per ounce-- don't recall) so don't eat much-- I eat an ounce at a time and have NO problems). Just be mindful of the salt-- especially if you have salt-related blood pressure issues or fluid retention problems. NUTRITION INFO: (per one ounce serving) Calories: 60 Fat: NONE Cholesterol:10 Sodium 270 Carbs: 6 Fiber:0 Protein :11 Perfect to keep in your car or purse!

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

divandet
on 12/4/07 9:38 am
Thanks everyone for the reply. I spoke to my trainer and he told me of an ostrich jerky that is available at one of those vitamin stores. I'll try those as well.
Susan J.
on 12/7/07 6:15 am - Madison, TN
Ostrim is the ostrich jerky. They have the consistency of a Slim Jim but they are much better. I love them. I get mine a The Vitamin Shoppe.

Susan (AKA bilsrib) 
300/135/135 - Plastics February 2008 - Dr. Lois Wagstrom

P E A C E - It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

Not the Same Dawn
on 12/11/07 4:22 am - BEE EFF EEE, CA
Also, one of the brands you can find in Walmart is good. Jack Links. I have a Teriyaki Beef Steak jerky that I carry in my lunch bag in case I miss a meal or something.  Serving size: 56 g (2 oz Jumbo) Calories: 160 Fat: 2 g Sat: 1 g Cholesterol: 50 g Sodium 880 g Carbs: 10 g fiber: 0 Sugars 8 g Protein 26 g
Yes, RNY worked for me but it also requires a lot of work from me!

Before Surgery: 214
Highest Weight: 240
Now: 125.6
Goal: 130
jackie j
on 12/11/07 4:32 am - Glenmoore, PA
I love the Pemmican brand beef jerky, especially the Peppered version....but then, I like it HOT!
cherryindallas
on 7/11/10 4:21 pm - Dallas, TX
at about 4 months, i started eating beef jerky, but i couldn't find anything that wasn't too chewy and too much work! so, i started making my own, and now it is all i can eat!  it is www.cherrysbadassbeefjerky.com -- very thin and almost crisp, melt-in-your mouth jerky. i am working on the exact nutrition facts right now, but i do know that 1/4 pound bag (or 4ozs) is equal to 1 pound of raw beef. it is a very thin top round beef cut.

if you are interested, i have a web site and/or you can join the facebook page for new flavors, deals, etc. i hope to get a bigger facility to prepare it in soon, so that i can make even more and focus more on the WLS community!
Most Active