Honey

Jessica Martinez
on 12/3/07 2:44 am - Houston, TX
ok so the weather is changing here in houston and one my favorite things to have when it gets cold is hot tea with honey and lemon now i've already switched to decaf tea but is it ok to have honey???...i'm not super sensitive to sugar and this is an occasional once a week kind of drink.
JeanneB_RD
on 12/3/07 6:57 am
I don't see it being a problem. Just keep in mind that it is a simple sugar and could cause dumping syndrome. Really try to keep it to a small amount. It's recommended to avoid the simple sugars. Have you thought of trying Splenda? That's my favorite non-calorie sweetner.
Jeanne Barnett, RD
Registered Dietitian, Certificate of Training in Adult Weight Management
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
deniseg
on 12/3/07 10:44 am - Monticello, AR
I use sugar free honey...its imitation honey but tastes the same.  It does have sugar alcohols in it, not sure how much, but I can have up to a tablespoon without it bothering me...and sugar alcohols do bother me if I get too much. See if you can find it, I buy mine at Wal Mart...that way you won't have to worry about the sugar and dumping!   Hope this helps...

DENISE          
Day of surgery weight/BMI:  246/44.9
Goal weight:  135
Current weight/BMI135/24.6---GOAL!!!!!!!!!
Total pounds lost:  111

Jessica Martinez
on 12/3/07 12:36 pm - Houston, TX
Thanks i'll definitly look for it the next time i go grocery shopping.
(deactivated member)
on 12/4/07 10:11 am - Gilbert, AZ
Jessica, I think you should try it. I have hot tea with honey and lemon about once a week. It is wonderful. I am not sensitive to sugar at all though. I put honey on toast with peanut butter also for breakfast. I currently have a cold and the tea has really been helping my throat. But I have made a point after my 1 year anniversary to listen to my Nut and go back and try everything that disagreed with me the first year. So I did, and everything is all good. If I never eat anything that made me feel awful then eventually I would run out of new things to try and then I would always be eating the same things. But honey is one of the things that has never affected me at all. Good luck.
Most Active