Egg drop soup/Miso?

josully
on 12/2/07 12:58 pm - San Juan Capistrano, CA
I am 11 days post op and wonder if these 2 soups (strained) would be good. Anyone have the nutritional breakdown? Does 'Pick up Stix' have egg drop? I don't see the info on their website.  Is it safe to have any chinese/japaneese restaraunt's version. If not, anyone have a recipe? Also, am I missing something or is there not a place to record grams of sugar on fitday.com? I see alcohol...why alcohol & not sugar? weird! Thanks, Jo

sarard
on 12/2/07 3:10 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
I don't have the nutritional breakdown for the above mentioned soups, but you can strain them and just have the broth. The restaurant should have a nutritional guide to their soups, but don't forget that you will be straining them and discarding some of the calories & protein. I just did a google search for recipes for egg drop and miso soups and found many recipes. You're better off making these at home and eating them. I highly discourage eating fast food. Regarding fitday: you are suppose to enter the food you eat - not the individual breakdown of the food. So, for example, if you enter the food: oreo - it will automatically enter the grams of sugar for you as apart of the carbohydrate - you don't have to do it separately. If you have a sugar packet, you enter: sugar & the quantity (packet) and it enters the grams of sugar for you. Alcohol is entered like food & fitday will calculate the calories and sugar.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
josully
on 12/3/07 1:03 am - San Juan Capistrano, CA
Thanks Sara! It seems most of the foods I enter are "custom" like my protein shakes etc. and I would like to keep track of sugar grams.  Also...can you suggest some good blenderized soups for my full liq/soft phase. I had some strained 98% FF cream of mushroom yesterday, but there is only 1 g/pro and 7 carbs so I don't know if it is worth it. But...it was great to fianlly have something savory & more substantial than broth instead of all the sweet. mmm, it was so delicious. Would you recommend FF cream of potato or cream of chicken? Would it be better to stay away from these cream soups and just blenderize vegetable or lentil or pea soup? Thanks

sarard
on 12/3/07 8:17 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Hi, I understand now that you are entering custom foods - I don't know how you'd enter sugar then, I've never had to do that. Sorry. Regarding soups. You can blenderize any soup you want. Cream of mushroom, broccoli, chicken - whatever you'd like. Here's what I tell my patients: during the liquid phase - don't worry about fat or carbs. Just try to get (and keep) food down. During this phase it can just be a challenge to eat. Now, eating creams soups when you are on regular foods, may not be wise - the calories can add up. But now, during this phase, you are really not eating too much, so even eating cream soups isn't going to kill your diet. I have some recipes I can post -- I will send to you a bit later when I have more time for typing!! :) Keep in mind, lentils offer a lot of protein and fiber -- so a blenderized lentil soup is more for your pureed diet stage (unless your surgeon/dietitian allows lentils at this stage).
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
LorienMI
on 12/30/07 11:19 am - Grand Blanc, MI
My 2 cents:     I had a bad cold (no voice for 4 days) so a friend of mine brought me some won-ton soup from a take-out.  It tasted great - I could eat one won-ton (including the one noodle, but not the meat  because it was too fatty), and a little broth. I ate it all weekend ... one won-ton at a time.  LOL The only problem was that with the fat/salt in the soup I didn't loose any weight for a few days.  I tried drinking more water after the weekend, and once I flushed my body - I dropped a couple of pounds so it didn't hurt me.   From now on out, I will save it for a treat.

Most Active