Cranberry juice

Kjackson2
on 11/29/07 9:10 pm - Poplar, WI
How does everyone feel on Diet canberry juice is that ok to drink???

Robin W.
on 11/29/07 9:27 pm - Franklin, OH

I'm not a RD but I'd jsut say look at the sugar in it.  I still can't drink ANY JUICE, no OJ, apple, grape etc. About the most juice I get is at church with communion. I just can't handle the sugar. Others drink 1/2 half juice 1/2 water.  Soemtime WLS is a trial to see what you can and can't eat and drink.  Good Luck,  Robin

4'10" - 47 I'm short but not petite and I will weigh more than a 5th grader
Start weight 220 
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"  Dr. Seuss

Kjackson2
on 11/29/07 10:18 pm - Poplar, WI
There is only 2grams of sugar in this juice

Robin W.
on 11/29/07 10:32 pm - Franklin, OH
That's GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd say go for it. Cranberry juice is suppose to be very healthy.  Robin

4'10" - 47 I'm short but not petite and I will weigh more than a 5th grader
Start weight 220 
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"  Dr. Seuss

DanielleH_RD
on 11/30/07 12:00 am - CA
Just a general comment on juice. If a juice is really "juice" it will have a relatively high amount of sugar, limited fiber, and an altered vitamin profile from the whole fruit (after all, there is stuff left behind in the pulp that isn't pressed into the juice).  If a product has only 2g sugar, it is probably a juice "drink" or a "drink" - meaning that it cannot legally classify itself as a juice because it has too low a percentage of actual fruit juice in it. So then I have to say, what are you drinking it for? Perhaps, it tastes good.  Perhaps, you are looking for an alternative to other beverages.  You sure can't be drinking it for it's health benefits - because those aren't in there if it's not "juice". So now that I've been mean to all the juice drinkers out there... Keep in mind that the best way to get the most benefit from any fruit or vegetable is to eat the whole thing.  Eat an orange instead of orange juice, you then get all of the fiber, vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals that it has to offer.  It takes 2-4 oranges to make a glass of juice.  Are you willing to eat 2 oranges?  Most people would say no - but the smart choice to enjoy your fruit and get its benefits is to eat whole fruit. Now, eating whole cranberries is a different story, I know.  They are sour and require a lot of help to make them palatable. As a general rule for successful weight loss - don't drink your calories!  It is easy to take in more calories than you need when you are drinking them. And the bottom line... Make sure that the foods and beverages that you are choosing fit in to your daily goals for calories, protein and fat.  That's the best way to figure out what is a "good" or "bad" food. regards,
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Kjackson2
on 11/30/07 3:02 am - Poplar, WI
Its not like I'm having juice all the time. Its just some mornings I feel like have some juice. But I guess I will not do that anymore.  So one more question for you.  How do you feel about crystal light , decaff tea,  I get bored with just plain water sometimes.

DanielleH_RD
on 12/1/07 12:56 am - CA
I'll let you in on a little secret... I get sick of plain water too.  Especially as the weather gets colder, I like to have a warm drink.  I keep a good selection of teas handy.  Decaf Tea is fine, but consider trying some other herb blends.  I am very fond of a brand called "Good Earth Original", it is a little spicy and doesn't need any sweetener.  I also like peppermint and other stronger flavors.   The key here is to use a non/low calorie sweetener (if you need it sweet).  Too much sugar can ruin a perfectly good weight loss plan by adding unnecessary calories and no nutrients to your daily intake.   Research has shown that the calories in beverages is not identified by your body the same as calories from food - which is why high calorie beverages can be so devastating to a weight loss plan.  So think about the "endless" beverage that is offered at many restaurants - a person can take in 200+ calories per glass with a sugared beverage.  Multiply that by 2 or 3 and you've got the equivalent of a whole meal in sugar-only calories. (This info is more for your family/friends - because after RNY you don't really have the pouch capacity for high volumes of liquids...) If your goal is to not drink your calories - Crystal light and other low calorie beverages are a great choice.  There are also no calorie flavored waters out on the market.  Splenda has a new product that turns water into a slightly sweet lemon flavored drink.  More choices are coming out all the time!  Spend a little time looking at the label - on average you should look for less than 5-10 calories per 8 oz to qualify as "low calorie".
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

mystic
on 12/2/07 5:53 am - manchester, NJ
juice is great to drink!! i use the cran light juices and dilute with water and ice.  i get sick of crystal lite, and tea. also, i have purchased the light OJ put out by tropicana i think. lt has wayyyy less sugar than regular OJ. mostly i drink water and decaf tea though.  but for those days i want juice, the cran lights work for me. my doc had no problem with me drinking them either. good luck, jacki

Jill23
on 12/2/07 10:36 am - Kendall Park, NJ
my favorite drink is ho****er with a splash of cranberry juice (regular) and one splenda... Jill
dthomp
on 12/6/07 10:02 am - North Olmsted, OH
I mix 1/2 diet cranberry juice (5 calories per serving) with water. I have had a hard time getting jus****er down since my surgery. This was suggested by my nut.
Most Active