allergic to nutrasweet....

joy O.
on 11/29/07 1:15 am - Fletcher, NC
HELP!  I am allergic to aspartame and acesfulfame.  My surgery is scheduled for December 18th and I am having trouble with the Post Surgery diet.  The nutritionest keeps saying that everything needs to be "diet".  I have anaphlaxis to these and there is no way to have them.  Every protein shake and "diet" food /drink that I can have contains either one or the other.  If anyone has any sugestions please help me. 
sweetpea25
on 11/29/07 4:38 am - The beautiful state of, AL
I too cannot eat Aspartame, or Splenda.  Mine is due to Multiple Sclerosis symptoms flaring and migraines. I discussed this with my doctor and nurse and nutritionist prior to agreeing to have RNY.  So far I can honestly say I have not had one day of trouble eating "real" sugar.  Mind you it's very little, but it is working well for me. Post op we had to eat Popsicles, jell-o and clear liquids.  I was not able to tolerate the protein shakes.  I was able to eat regular Popsicles and jell-o, not the sugar free.  After the first week I was allowed soft proteins (after my drains were removed) and began eating SlimFast protein bars.  Chocolate Chip Granola.  I tolerated those GREAT!  And, they have 15g protein.  Eggs with cheese were also a big staple.  Those got old after a while though. I'm not sure what your surgeons guidelines are for sugar.  Mine was no more than 16g at a time.  I rarely eat anything over 12g.  I even tolerate regular yogurt with no trouble at all.  1% milk is great as well.  But, do not rush into ANYTHING.  Follow your rules to the letter and remember to drink and drink some more.  I have an ulcer that is greatly bothered by water.  I basically drink decaf tea all day that's 1/2 and 1/2.  PM me if you would like.  Feel free to ask as many questions as you'd like.  I'm 3.5 months post op and have lost 62 pounds.  So for now everything is working well. Best of luck to you!! Cynthia
MelaniaB_RD
on 11/29/07 1:10 pm - Costa Mesa, CA

You are right in that almost every "diet" or "sugar-free" food will likely have a bit of aspartame, ace-K and/or Splenda in itl  Since you have a severe reaction (anaphlaxis) you are best off to eat the regular version of jello, yogurt, etc. MOST people can tolerate up to 15 grams of sugar at any one time without dumping; others dump with much smaller amounts. My advice would be to try to to drink adequate fluids (at least 64 oz), follow the surgeon/dietitians advice regarding diet progression but DO LET THEM KNOW OF YOUR SEVERE REACTION TO aspartame, etc.  Although dumping is no fun (you might not dump at all with smaller amounts of sugar) it is not life threatening like anaphlaxis.   Best of luck to you!!

Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
Most Active