Bananas

Kjackson2
on 11/28/07 11:45 pm - Poplar, WI
I just wanted to know if dried banana chips are good for you or is it something we should stay away from

trafficdonna
on 11/29/07 6:05 am
First of all let me say that I love them!  They are full of natural sugar though so if you dump on sugar, they might not be a good choice.  Because sugar is concentrated in dried foods, you might be better off with fresh bananas (you can slice them up and freeze them too!).
This too will pass, like a kidney stone but it will pass!
JeanneB_RD
on 11/29/07 11:53 am
Dried banans are typically filled w/ fat too. They add oil to them in the drying process so they contain too many calores. Although delicious I would definitely stay away and go for the real banana!
Jeanne Barnett, RD
Registered Dietitian, Certificate of Training in Adult Weight Management
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
~ Stylz ~
on 12/7/07 3:36 pm - North of Boston, MA
I love banana chips :)  try looking for them at a natural market (a real one, not a gnc or vitamin shoppe) they tend to have dried fruits without extra ingredients added.   Another option is buying a dehydrator and doing it yourself.  my aunt has a great dehydrator, I've made my own banana chips, pineapple, papaya, blueberries, cranberries, ginger, etc all without the extra sugars or ingredients you have to worry about when buying in stores :)

~Stylz~  
post - op 261.2/current 124.2/goal 125

~~~  down 137 pounds  ~~~

LESS HALF THE PERSON I USE TO BE 

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."

LorienMI
on 12/30/07 11:24 am - Grand Blanc, MI
I love them and thought about making my own.   I just thought that it could be difficult when they re-hydrate in our tiny-tummies!  It might be safer to eat fresh bananas. Anyone have any advise??

wendy_fou
on 12/30/07 11:41 am - AR
I've been told to avoid all dried fruits because of the fat/sugar.  I have been told to only do natural fruits (which I think taste better anyway - so I'm cool with that! LOL)
Most Active