Is it true?

Michelle S.
on 11/27/07 1:27 am - Jenks, OK
Ok, I have been told that I am gaining weight after losing 22 pounds after surgery (including fluid) in 3 weeks because I am not getting enough protein in my diet?  I am soooo burned out on protein shakes that I have not been drinking them.  I have gained back 7 pounds in about 2 weeks.  I am now up to eating fish along with my beans, eggs and cheese according to my surgeon's diet progression.  It is still another 3.5 weeks until I can add chicken and turkey to my diet.  I have ordered some DaVinci sugar free syrups to make the shakes better.  Any other suggestions to get more protein in my very restricted diet?   Thanks! Michelle
You call me a LOSER like it's a bad thing!
Pre-op/Surgery/ Post-op/Current/Goal
355/315/322/228.6/170
Nancy H.
on 11/27/07 3:18 am - CA
Hi Michelle, Two things saved me. 1 was discovering that a banana in a chocolate protein shake made a huge difference and 2 that Muscle Milk Light in Chocolate Mint (it comes in little boxes like Capri Sun) tastes really good. I also put a scoop of Choc powder in my SF pudding and I could handle that.  As soon as I upped my protein, weight did come off faster . It still amazes me that more good calories makes you lose faster, but it's so true. Good luck and stress less. It is hard at first to get enough in, but it does get easier. nancy

1texasmom
on 11/30/07 11:04 am
I found an unflavored soy protein at The Vitamin Shoppe.  I mix it in soups and it's great.  13 grams of protein in only one scoop.  I also like a scoop of the vanilla powder in my Malt o Meal for breakfast.     I have to laugh, but my kitchen looks like a science lab at times.  I mix, pour, shake and stir so many things all I can do is laugh.  But, hey!  How am I going to know what I like if I don't try new things.  The best thing I have is a submersion blender.  I think that's what it is called.  It's a long stick with a blender on the end that I can stick in a bowl or cup to mix soups, puddings and even drinks. 

RNY: 11/19/07

SW:260

LW: 140 (January 09)

CW: 180

GW: 155-160

jlynn1
on 12/1/07 9:17 am
I've gotten tired of those thick shakes too!  Luckily, I've found Isopure drinks.  You can get them in bottles...20oz has 40 gm of protein!  And, they come in powder form.  They are more like a koolaid drink.  They go down much better than those shakes all the time for me at least.  On ice is the best way to drink them as some people complain of a little gritty after taste, but as long as they are cold they taste great to me.

Most Active