Can't keep much down

jlynn1
on 11/24/07 10:16 am
I'm just 6 weeks post op RNY.  I am having so many problems trying to keep anything down.  I can eat and wait for a couple of hours before drinking then my meal will still be uncomfortable and end up vomiting everything that was left on my stomach.  I was told not to drink 30 min prior and 30 after, but I'm waiting even longer.  I'm not eating portions over a couple of teaspoons.  Sometimes, I can't even keep my protien shake down.  Happy about the weight loss, but this is torture! Help! I'm totally depressed! What is wrong? 

WyoSue
on 11/24/07 11:56 am
You need to contact your surgeon, you could have a sticture.  Good Luck, Sue
DanielleH_RD
on 11/25/07 11:08 am - CA

I agree with calling your doctor - better safe than sorry! I wonder if you have advanced on to foods beyond what you are able to tolerate.  I'm sure your doctor gave you a diet progression from liquid to puree, etc. Are you on solids?  If so, did you do any better with puree or soft foods? Trying different textures & seeing how you tolerate them can be helpful information for your doctor as well. As I encourage others, write down what has been going on.  What foods you have tried and the response - time of day, how you felt, any other information you can think of.  When you get to the doctor's office, it is very easy to leave out details or skim over things that you aren't sure are important.  Bring your notes with you to the doctor (If they want you to come in) so you don't forget anything.  Give your doc a call in the morning and good luck!

Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

martinoa
on 11/28/07 6:53 am - North Olmsted, OH
Make sure you are really taking your time with your food such as counting to 30 when chewing and really going slow with eating.  I found if i put my fork down when i am chewing then wait a few before my next bite that i dont have a prob.  I was also told that it may be necessary if this happens to go back to the phase prior for a few days then back to what you were doing.  Hope this works
beth H.
on 12/1/07 6:23 am - TX
This is the same thing that happened to me.  I thought I was eating too fast, or drinking too much.  But when i saw my dr, he thought it might be a stricture, and made an appointment for me to have an endoscopy.  Sure enough, I had a stricture, and they fixed it on the spot.  Everything is much better now.  But I understand that I might have to have the endoscopy done a couple more times -- just not yet.

jlynn1
on 12/1/07 7:37 am
Thanks all!  I saw the surgeon yesterday and I was told it may be a stricture or an ulcer, so I'm going in for endoscopy in a week...can't wait to get over this hump.  I'm glad to hear everything is better afterwards. 

Ihavedecided
on 12/9/07 12:10 pm - RPV, CA
I had surgery on Oct 22 and seem to be going through what you are going through.  I really cannot eat anything without it coming back up...and I never eat even a tablespoon full!  It is even hard to get my water in...my medicines all come back up...  the hardest thing is that even the slightest smell makes me gag. It will be interesting to know what you find out... I go to the doctor on the 19th I might call and get in to see her before that. 

Because of the cross... It is well with my soul

jlynn1
on 1/3/08 11:07 am
Sorry it took me so long to reply...I didn't see your comments.  I had a stricture and went in for endoscopy.  They dialated the hole that was only 4mm (size of a straw) and now it is 15 mm.  I can eat just fine now without any problems.  I hope they found out what you had going on. 

Most Active