Non-Fat Milk

onyxstang
on 11/22/07 6:22 am - MCKINLEYVILLE, CA
Happy Thanksgiving! I had my surgery Sept 2005- I'm 5-3 and 128 pounds (been at this weight for over a year). I drink about 40 oz of skim-non-fat milk a day plus part-skim cheese and other low fat dairy products. (I'm lucky to not be affected like some people.)  I take a calcium supplement daily, but was wondering if it's necessary to do that since I do get so much natural calcium each day? Thanks much, I've always wondered about that. Blood work and bone density normal.
(deactivated member)
on 11/22/07 9:50 am - Vacaytown, HI
Well I can tell you what I do and my Calcium levels are ok.  I have a nonfat latte on and off.  I eat cottage cheese for breakfast but not everyday.  I take a calcium pill daily.  I dont think I get lots of dairy but I seem to keep a good level.  So I guess as long as your labs are ok you shold be fine with what you do.  When they change that is a red flag.  For me my B 12 is the problem so I have to start injections.  Take care!
onyxstang
on 11/25/07 1:13 pm - MCKINLEYVILLE, CA
Thanks for the reminder on the B12...I do the sublingual tabs I buy from Trader Joe's and they've been great. I just forget to take them all the time. Sincerely, Jan
DanielleH_RD
on 11/25/07 11:20 am - CA
Your blood calcium levels are NOT a good indicator of your calcium status.  Your bones are the major store of calcium in your body - but calcium is necessary for processes throghout your body.  If you have had a surgery that bypasses your duodenum, you will forever malabsorb calcium to some degree.  The rest of your intestines compensate for the reduced absorption, but you do not get back to "normal" absorption.  The only way to truly measure calcium levels is to look at the mineralization of bone with a DEXA scan. (if you have had that - then congratulations! your supplementation has worked.) In the literature, it is very clear that calcium supplementation is a lifelong committment if you have had WLS.  You should shoot for 2000-2500 mg of calcium each day. You are getting about 1100 mg from your milk, add on any additional calcium foods to get a daily total.  You should take in to account your vitamin D levels which help with calcium absorption.  My bias is to keep on supplementing - maybe you can reduce the dosage but osteoporosis is no joke! Keep in mind that you create a demand for calcium absorption through weight bearing exercise - so keep moving!
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

onyxstang
on 11/25/07 1:11 pm - MCKINLEYVILLE, CA
Thanks so much for the information...I did have a DEXA scan last year (and have to have one every two years). I did find out I had osteoarthritis, but so far my bone density scans are normal. I will continue to supplement my milk with the calcium tablets too. I appreciate the information, it helps a lot! Sincerely, Jan
Most Active