Vitamin B12, B6 injections

mariposah
on 11/21/07 1:34 am
Any long term post ops taking injections for B12, B6? RD's - your thoughts on injections?   There is a weight loss clinic here that offers them.  Three x's a week, for about $180/mo.  A lot of people are losing a lot of weight with the injections.  I currently am not taking my vitamins.  I know, I know.  Anyone taking the injections and see a difference?  Also, do hospitals offer them for cheaper?  Also, I am not willing to inject myself, nor do I want any other family or friend to.  Thanks!
sarard
on 11/21/07 7:16 am - Costa Mesa, CA
B12 & weight loss was very popular a few years back.  I find that it works, to a point.  It increases your energy level giving you more drive to exercise.  Three times per week is excessive for you.  If you have a shot one time per month, that should be more than enough.  Your liver will store B12, so you don't need it that often. The surgeon I worked for gave them for $25.00 per shot -- if the clinic won't give them to you once per month, check with your PCP or try to get in to see a hematologist.  They also give B12 injections to some of their patients (not for weight loss, for other reasons). 
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Brandi F.
on 12/3/07 3:14 am - Hamburg, PA
Sara...I'm going to be getting B12 shots at my PCP's office monthly. What dosage should I be receiving? I got a shot last month, but I have no idea what the dose was. Never thought about that! So, what should I be getting dose wise? Thanks.

Lap RNY on 8-21-07
I'm 5'2'', I'm 34 years old, and I have 175 pounds to lose!!

sarard
on 12/3/07 6:02 am - Costa Mesa, CA
It comes in ampules. The dose is 1 ampule (amp) per month. That should be more than enough. :) Good luck!
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Brandi F.
on 12/3/07 2:44 pm - Hamburg, PA
Thanks, Sara!

Lap RNY on 8-21-07
I'm 5'2'', I'm 34 years old, and I have 175 pounds to lose!!

(deactivated member)
on 11/21/07 9:45 am - Vacaytown, HI
My Dr just told me I have to start on injections so I see him next week and I will see ow they will do it.  However, my brother says he buys it for 8 dollars and does his own.  But I would be too squemish for that.  I think mine will be covered by insurance.
Most Active