When?

lillysummer
on 11/20/07 3:28 am - Superior, WI
I have had 2 visits with NUT, have one remaining.  When do we talk about protein, supplements, vitamins etc?  I would think this would have been a subject of discussion from the beginning.  I have learned soooooo much from Obesity Help and other sites.  I am thankful to hear experiences, good and not so good.  Thanks for reading. [email protected] Lynn
MelaniaB_RD
on 11/20/07 12:55 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Lynn, When I see pre-op patients, I start talking about the basics of WLS (protein, supplements, fluids between meals, etc) from the first visit.  I find it best to serve up the information in small doses versus dumping (no pun intended) it all on the last visit. That said, every dietitian has a different approach to patient visits.  I would most certainly ask the dietitian about ANY questions you have.  You might even ask him/her why they didn't bring up protein in the first visit as you now know how vital it is to your success after surgery.   I'm glad that you are learning lots on Obesity Help. Have a great turkey day!
Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
sarard
on 11/20/07 11:08 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Melania is right, everyone has a different approach.  I usually go over eating habits with my clients in the first visits and go over the post op diet closer to surgery day -- one of the last visits (which would include protein) - I find that if the information is most useful about 2 weeks before surgery.  My clients, however, have at least 5 visits with me before surgery.  I start going over the new diet on visit #4 - the previous visits we concentrate on the client's medical conditions and breaking bad habits.  Everyone approaches it different.  I would encourage you to ask your NUT about it since you do only have one visit left.  Glad you're interested!!
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Most Active