For Dieticians

suz1015
on 11/20/07 1:07 am
Hello - I posted this question before, and was only answered by someone at Unjury.  I actually use Unjury products, but felt b/c I was inquiring about another product, they of course had nothing positive to say about it. I am asking that you please reply, and give me the facts. Thank you. I have been supplementing my protein intake with IDS New Whey liquid protein. I do like it, and am able to get in all 60 grams a day with the help of this product. So, is this a good product for us to be drinking? Am I getting all the benefits I need from this? Any info you can supply would be so helpful Many thanks,' Suz
MelaniaB_RD
on 11/20/07 12:47 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Hi Suz, Although I cannot comment on individual products, I will say that if you like the taste of it and it helps you achieve your daily protein goal, that's great.  The general rules for protein supplements are:  15-20 grams of protein per shake or serving, low sugar (< 5 grams) of sugar per serving and lowfat (<5 grams) of fat per serving and whey is preferred.  If the IDS New Whey liquid protein meets this criteria, I say you are golden! Happy Thanksgiving!
Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
UNJURY
on 11/20/07 10:37 pm - Sterling, VA
Hi MelaniaB What is your thinking on PDCAAS scoring of protein?  Could you please comment on this? (The Institute of Medicine at the National Academy of Sciences thinks it is fundamental.   As does the World Health Organization.  The FDA and USDA use it for evaluating protein.) Jerome UNJURY Protein
MelaniaB_RD
on 11/21/07 4:15 am, edited 11/21/07 4:16 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Jerome, I believe that Danielle answered this in great detail a couple months ago, but in a nutshell this is what I think.  Yes in 1993 the FDA and FAO/WHO adopted this method of evaluating protein quality based on the requirements of humans instead of growing rats.  For those of you on the boards who don't know what PDCAAS stands for it is the Protein Digestibilty Corrected Amino Acid Score.  It is now considered superior to other methods of evaluating the qualities of various proteins.  This scoring system rates proteins with 1 = highest quality and 0= lowest quality.  Let's look at a few:  Whey =1.0; Egg white = 1.0; Casein = 1.0; Milk = 1.0; Soy = 0.91; Whole wheat = 0.54; Peanuts = 0.52.   With that said, there are limitations to this scoring system.  Amino acids that move beyond the terminal ileum are less likely to be absorbed for use in protein synthesis.  They may pass out of the body or be absorbed by bacteria and will then be absent in the feces, appearing to be digested.  The PDCAAS do not take into consideration WHERE the proteins have been digested.  Also, amino acids that are lost due to antinutritional factors (such as tannins in soy) are also assumed to be digested by the PDCAAS. As I tell all my clients, it is best to try several types of protein supplements, preferably whey based and to find one that tastes good but is reasonably priced.  I never have and never will recommend just one product to my clients.  I provide them with the guidelines and 'teach them how to fish' instead of giving them the fish, so to speak.  I believe that this helps them take more responsibility for their own health versus my telling them to choose this or that.   Cheers!
Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
Most Active