diabetes pre-op question

JACKIESMOM
on 11/20/07 3:57 am - FL
i have a question about after surgery. i am hoping my diabetes will go into remission with the surgery but i know it will or may not happen overnight. question- what happens when your suger drops low and you have to quickly take in some sort of suger. do you dump as well? i was thinking about that the other day. how crappy you would feel if your suger drops and then to bring it up again and then have dumping syndrome. thanks

MelaniaB_RD
on 11/20/07 12:41 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
You are right that your diabetes will likely disappear with significant weight loss but it won't happen overnight.  If you are any medications to treat your diabetes (oral or insulin) your surgeon should adjust the dosages down as you lose weight.  This prevents episodes of hypoglycemia from occurring.  However, post-operatively if you focus on getting small amounts of protein every few hours,  this will help keep your blood sugar more stable without the low dips.   Great question regarding how we teach people to treat a bout of hypoglycemia, which is to eat ~ 15 grams of simple carb (sugar) to quickly raise blood sugar i.e. (1/2 cup orange juice or regular soda, 5 pieces of hard candy, etc).  You may or may not dump with this amount of sugar and yes you would likely feel awful with hypoglycemia and then the treatment made you dump.  I would also let your surgeon about your question/concern and see what he/she says. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!
Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
JACKIESMOM
on 11/20/07 11:11 pm - FL
thank you very much. i will check with him.

sarard
on 11/20/07 11:14 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
To add to Melania's answer - I tell my clients to carry lifesavers with them.  If you are low, you need to suck on 5 of the candies.  Typcially (not always) dumping occurs with liquids - it's the rapid passage of sugar into the small intestine.  Sugar also gets absorbed in your mouth, so usually sucking on candies (not chewing) will allow your sugar to go up without the rapid passage into your intestines.  Check your blood sugar often. In addition, you will want to call your doctor who gave you the diabetes medications.  There are a few diabetes meds that have a low risk of causing low blood sugar.  It may be in your best interest to switch to one of these meds post op. One more thing - your diabetes will improve quickly --- very quickly.  Some people stop their Diabetes meds within a week of surgery -- keep checking your sugars and ALWAYS discuss this with your surgeon on post op visits. Great question!
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
JACKIESMOM
on 11/21/07 1:31 am - FL
thank you. what about the glucose tabs i carry with me. can i use those?

MelaniaB_RD
on 11/21/07 3:39 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Yes, you can use the glucose tablets that you carry with you.   Cheers!
Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
Most Active