Need some suggestions...

Amanda H.
on 11/19/07 12:52 pm - AR
 I am not getting surgery at least for another year.  My insurance decided on September 1st  to make everyone go through a 12 month diet and exercise program.  So, they denied benefit for the surgery.  Yeah, I was crushed, but life goes on.  I am going to join Curves this week.  How is it there?  Ive never been, but I heard it was fun.  And also, does anyone have any suggestions on what I should try to lose weight?  I have hypothyroidism, so it's going to be hard.  But im going to give it one last shot before trying surgery next year.  Thanks,   Amanda
(deactivated member)
on 11/19/07 1:50 pm
First can't you take synthroid?  please check out my plan B diet on my profile page.  take care, Linda
Karen S.
on 11/19/07 10:15 pm - Hudson Falls, NY
Hi Amanda, I am sorry to hear that your insurance company is putting you through the ringer. However to answer your question about Curves, prior to my surgery I joined Curves and it is great for toning all muscle groups.  It is a quick 30 minutes and where I go the people are very friendly. I actually got two of my daughters to join with me and it is fun.   Prior to surgery my doctor makes you follow 8 weeks of Medifast shakes and a lean and green meal.  I was able to lose 40 pounds in the 8 weeks...I don't know if this helps.  I know Medifast has meal plans, etc.  Hope it all works out for you.  Karen Schworm

Pam T.
on 11/20/07 8:53 am - Saginaw, MI
I also had to do 12 months dieting before surgery.  I took the time to start learning how to eat post-op.  I cut out all carbs in the form of grains, pasta, potato and sugar (at least I tried awefuly hard). I got all my carbs from fruits and veggies instead.  I increased my protein intake and started drinking a protein smoothie for breakfast. Also cut out all soda and carbonated beverages -- increased water intake and started making it a habit.  I switched to 3 smallish meals and 2 100-calorie snacks per day and kept track of what I was eating with www.fitday.com.  I haven't joined curves before, but my mom has and she enjoys it.  With  my schedule it just wasn't for me.  But I did increase my exercise during the past 12 months. About a month before surgery I gave up my last vice - caffeine.  I switched my morning coffee to water and it really helped to get that done well before surgery.  I know it's tough to do the 12 months.  But honestly... it goes very quickly.  You'll be done before you know it. Good luck Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

mattersfact
on 11/22/07 6:12 am - Indian Trail, NC
I also joined Curves and went religiously 4 to 5 times a week, and sometimes did the circuit twice a visit.  It was fun the first few months, then I got tired of it.  It was too repetitious and monotonous, and when Curves was busy, it was too hard to get a full workout in while waiting on the person in front of you to get off the machine.  Furthermore, I never lost one inch - ever.  I never lost weight, which I expected since I was toning muscle, but to not lose an inch was depressing after all the hard work.  In fact, 4 months in, all I did was gain an inch in my calves! If you join Curves, it is a year commitment.  Also, it is resistance training, and once your body gets used to the level of resistance on the bands, it become an ineffectual exercise.  Of course, the cardio part is always good for you. May I suggest an alternative. Look for a Planet Fitness in your area. Let me tell you why... First, you can join their $10 a month membership with no commitments or contracts.  That gives you an opportunity to see if you like it there without blowing all your money.  It think there is an initial prorated fee of $25, but it's $10 a month after that for as long as you like. Second, they have a 30 min circuit system similar to Curves that you can use, but while Curves' resistance bands are NOT adjustable, the machines at Planet Fitness ARE - they are the standard 10 lb bars weights with lock pins on pulleys.  That way, when your body gets used to one weight level, you can kick it up to the next notch.  Most of the machines have a weight range of 10 to 150 lbs. Third, they have all kinds of cardio equipment - the ellipticals, treadmills, etc....with headphone jacks so you can listen to one of several TV programs being broadcast overhead. And if you like it and want to join the year commitment plan...it's only a fraction of the $35 to join (prorated depending on when you join) and then it's $20 a month.  This plan includes unlimited guests and unlimited tanning (which is worth the $20 alone, if you are a tanner) and half price drinks from their cooler.  After your year commitment, the plan then converts to a month to month plan.  Curves locations "usually" do not have showers - Planet Fitness has locker rooms with showers - they even provide soap if you forget yours.  Mine even has an ironing board and iron in the locker room. Planet Fitness has a very friendly atmosphere, non-intimidating, clean, and it's a lot of fun. They do not allow the power lifters to even come into the place, they don't allow weight belts, or bare mid drifts, no grunting or clanking weights.  I go in after work and get a 10 min tan, do the circuit for 30 mins, then hit the treadmill for 30 to 40 mins while I watch General Hospital.   Can't do that at Curves. Plant Fitness has a website at http://www.planetfitness.com
Amanda H.
on 11/22/07 12:06 pm - AR
I do take synthroid, but it's not helping me lose weight.  I joined Curves yesterday , so I am going to try that.  Thanks for all your suggestions!
Most Active