64 oz of fluid

blueeyes3025
on 11/19/07 5:59 am - Ellsworth AFB, SD

I am 3 weeks post-op (RNY), so far I have lost 24 lbs. I have been having difficulties whith getting my 64 OZ of fluid in, Water makes me nausous, Crystal light of any flavor tastes way too sweet. Right now the only thing I am tolarating is Power Aid and its easy for me to drink the 64 oz. Problem with that it has 15 grams of sugar in an 8oz serving. it is not causing "dumping" but how bad is this going to be for me, and my weight loss?  Are there any other suggestions for fluid intake?  

sarard
on 11/19/07 7:10 am - Costa Mesa, CA
If it's not causing dumping, you're in luck.  :)  If you were to drink 64 oz of Power Aid daily, you'd be drinking approximately 120 g of sugar OR 480 calories.  That is, if sugar is the only calories you are counting.  Right now, if it's not causing dumping, there probably isn't a problem.  However, if you get used to drinking this much Power Aid, it can cause a problem with future weight loss - or even worse - future weight gain.  It's a lot of calories to be drinking.  Try to water it down.  Can you dilute 4 oz of Power Aid with 4 oz of water?  Will you tolerate that?   Try to dilute it for now & continue to look for calorie-free beverages.  You could even dilute the crystal light so it doesn't taste so sweet.   For now, adequate fluid is so important, I don't want you to stop drinking Power Aid if this is all you are tolerating.  However, I think it would be a good idea to limit the amount of Power Aid you are drinking - you don't want to start any bad habits. Good luck!
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
blueeyes3025
on 11/19/07 7:19 am - Ellsworth AFB, SD
I will try and water it down too see if that works, thanks for the advice.
~ Stylz ~
on 11/19/07 9:30 am - North of Boston, MA
how about trying water at room temp?  sometimes drinking cold water bothers the pouch. crystal light early out is sweet to a lot of people, try what the other poster said, dilute it and it might help :)

~Stylz~  
post - op 261.2/current 124.2/goal 125

~~~  down 137 pounds  ~~~

LESS HALF THE PERSON I USE TO BE 

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."

Marsha C.
on 11/20/07 12:51 am - Herndon, VA
I couldn't stomach water for a year after my surgery. I'm ok with it now but found myself in habit of drinking sweet tea (w/real sugar not Splenda) again, which like you I can tolerate without dumping. However, since I'm drinking calories, my weight loss has stopped. I'd keep trying the water, it will get better, just be prepared for it to be awhile.
MacArthurBug
on 11/27/07 10:59 pm - KY
You migt also want to try propel- it's like poweraide but witout te sugars.  ALSO!  Watering down te crystal ligt  can make it tolerable.  I had a simular problem at your stage anyting sweet tasting was tooo sweet.  Good luck and keep trying to hydrate!

~*~ Amber ~*~
highest weight: 335 (possibly more) pounds
current weight: holding steady at about 138-142 
Lowest weight: 136
New goal: Find my balence

Most Active