timing with synthroid

MsBea
on 11/19/07 1:47 am - MN
Hi, I am wondering if any of the nutritionists can shed some light on the timing of synthroid, levothroid, in my case.  The bottle suggests taking it 4 hrs prior, or separate from, vitamins and minerals, which I already separate....calcium and vitamins..  So....when is the best time to take synthroid?  I have been feeling sluggish and cold recently, and everythings else seems normal.  Should I take the synthroid like when I get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom?  Am I just being silly?  I want to get the best results from my food and medication. Thanks! Betty
sarard
on 11/19/07 7:43 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Are you taking synthroid one time per day? Try:  When you first wake up in the morning (let's say 7 AM) take Calcium.  When you are ready for lunch (let's say 12:30 PM) take Synthroid.  When you have dinner at night (let's say 6:00 PM) take your multivitamin & B12  When you go to bed at night time (let's say 11:00 PM) take your iron.  If you are taking synthroid more than one time per day -- it can get a bit tricky, but still possible.  You may also want to double check with the pharmacist.    
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
MsBea
on 11/20/07 9:54 pm - MN
Hi, Thank you,--but what, then, about the standard of taking synthroid "an hour before of two hours after a meal"...I thought I didn't have to mention that....any ideas, and is that different for gastric bypass patients...? Betty
sarard
on 11/20/07 11:02 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
As far as I know it's not different for GBP patients (but check with your pharmacist) - Maybe I wasn't clear enough:  If you take your Synthroid at 11:30AM & eat lunch at 12:30PM --- wouldn't that work?  Maybe I wasn't too clear on my times for you ... Or, you could take it at 2 PM if your lunch is at noon - then 4 hours later you'd take your Multivit with dinner at 6 PM.  Unless I'm just not following your question ..... let me know. 
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
MsBea
on 11/20/07 11:20 pm - MN
Thank you, Sara, That is clear to me now.  I appreciate your response! Betty
Most Active