Ready to Eat Meals

(deactivated member)
on 11/18/07 11:03 pm - Independence, LA
hi everyone, i had vls on 10/31/07 and doing ok with everything so far. i have my bullets first, then a rtd shake. i have lost 13 lbs so far according to my scale at home. It has never matched the surgerons office however. Surgeons office says much more. my question is "Are there Ready to Eat Meals, that I can have when the time is right". You see, i am a single woman that does not cook often. I am speaking about something like Lean Cursine, Weigh****ers, Healthy Choice, etc.  i try very hard to stay within reach of the carbs being under 40gms per day,   thanks, cougar
LizzyL
on 11/19/07 1:40 am, edited 11/19/07 1:41 am - NY
RNY on 06/08/04 with
Hello Cougar, Pre-prepared frozen dinners can be iffy . While some like Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice are often lower in fat. But even if the fat gram count is in check, be sure to keep an eye on calorie content and the Salt content. Sometimes there is way too much salt in the frozen dinners. A good rule of thumb is to always choose a meal with 300 calories or less. here's my suggestion.... sit down and plan your menu for the week and do all of your shopping on the weekend. It has made such a huge difference in my life! Sometimes I make a mid-week trip for fish or something else that I can't really buy ahead, but it's a huge relief to come home from where ever i am or from work and know that I have everything I need for dinner for the whole entire week. Somedays my hubby and I don't eat the same foods ...so I prepare all my meals seperate. IF he doesn't want what i cooked for myself. I ask him the on the weekend ...what he wants for dinner and then i prepare the foods and ready to just heat up for him. Here is my menu for this week...for dinner Monday -  chicken, whole grain couscous, roasted green beans Tuesday - roasted halibut , small spinach salad Wednesday - chicken with whole wheat pasta and mixed  vegies Thursday - broiled salmon with roasted asparagas with a sprinkle of light fatfree parmesan cheese. Friday- Shrimp salad Sat-chicken stew with vegies Sun - hubby cooks ..lol i am off. You don't have to cook anything fancy somedays i turn snacks into meals ... if don't want to cook anything ...I just have a yogurt and a banana lol seriously ...prepare easy ready meals that are HEALTHY  ...and that are quick fixed for you! I look for healthy recipes online....thats where i go get my ideas from Look into cookbooks espeically designed for one to two people. THEN i go shopping and I get everyting that I need and THEN I prepare them.

Shop with convenience in mind Purchase foods that are individually frozen, such as fruits, vegetables, chicken breasts or fish fillets. These foods allow you to thaw out only the amount you need. BJ's whole sale stores/COSTCO-Price Club stores have bigger bags that are packed individually. Take advantage of your freezer. Storing food in your freezer helps prevent waste and keeps foods fresher longer..Cook meals in advance and freeze single-size portions. Use extras wisely. Plan meals so that you can use the extra food in new dishes. YOU can cook a better and healthier meal ... then eating a frozen meal. You Can't beat that! :-) hugss Lizzy

Hugs & Kisses
Lizzybee2.gif

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/07 4:59 am - Independence, LA

thanks lizzy, this is so much information, i have notice that the frozen meals have hign salt value and concerned about the amount of carbo's in them. i have not checked out the healthy choice ones, yet. my problem is I just don't have to cook for  anyone. just me and i want to do this right. and not sure where to begin. i will look for a fat free cook book. but then i have to worry about the carb's in it. i look all over town today for something i could drink besides water. found nasty white tea, sf..........not. then i try sf/ff drink, nasty too. so i go****er from the store. this is harder then i taught it would be and eating right. i know that only 40 gms per day of carbs and protein, i do the bullets. i am not hungry just wanted something else. i hate problems. thanks for answers and your help, cougar

JennMC
on 12/2/07 7:43 am - Hillsborough, NJ
I just wanted to share that I do buy some ready to eat meals, and probably have 3 or so each week.  There is a lean cuisin chicken in 3 cheese sauce with broccoli - almost no carbs.  I try to buy the ones that do not have any pasta or rice. Also, there are whole grain lean pockets out there that have 20 g of protein in them,and I think are 210 calories.  Sodium is always higher in the prepared foods, so I try not to make a habit of it.  But they are good in a pinch. My newest kick is soup - chili, beef vegtable, turkey, etc. You can control what goes into it, and a pot lasts a long time.  I even freeze some in individual portions that I can microwave when I dont feel like cooking.  It takes a while to find things that work for you, but you will. Best of luck! Jenn

sarard
on 11/19/07 7:47 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Excellent answer!
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
jojotatwomen
on 12/19/07 8:25 am
Hi.I had my surgery on october 30th and i having a hard time eating!Do you have any suggestions?
(deactivated member)
on 12/19/07 8:30 am - Independence, LA

i had my surgery a day after you. i have to make myself eat as well. i have 2 rtd's every day. losing very slow, but losing. i just don't care about eating, i know that i have too. hang in there.. cougar

Most Active