Sodium intake?

(deactivated member)
on 11/18/07 7:17 am - St. Peters, MO
How much sodium intake daily? I try to stay under 1500mg. I'll be calling my NUT tomorrow but it takes a while to get an answer. What happens if you have too much sodium intake daily?
(deactivated member)
on 11/18/07 9:56 am - Vacaytown, HI
Im not really sure what the amount should be... I just know my Dr. does regular tests and labs that determines I am getting adequate amounts.  I think too much sodium can cause problems with hypertension etc.  The best ting to do is ask your Dr.
MelaniaB_RD
on 11/18/07 1:15 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Jenna, The general recommendation for sodium intake for those without hypertension is about 2300 milligrams per day which is MUCH less than the 6000-8000+ milligrams eaten daily by the average American.  For comparison purposes, 1 teaspoon of salt contains 2000 milligrams of sodium.   If you are eating 1500 mg daily and are happy with that it is fine but most people find it very difficult to eat < 2000 mg per day.   Kudos to you!  Eating too much sodium can be detrimental to those with hypertension, heart failure, kidney failure, etc. as sodium increases fluid retention and puts excess strain on the heart, kidneys etc.   Too much sodium daily may contribute to a higher salt tolerance (in other words, it will eventually take a lot of salt on food for you to feel like it is salty enough), and may contribute to hypertension especially if you are predisposed to hypertension.   My recommendation is to try to stay within 2300 milligrams on  daily basis UNLESS your doctor has you on a low sodium diet (2000 mg) to help control a medical condition.  Happy Thanksgiving!
Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
Most Active