Post WLS eating disorders

(deactivated member)
on 11/18/07 9:54 am - Vacaytown, HI
Is anyone out there diagnosed with an eating disorder after weight loss surgery.  I have a PTSD and depression related eating disorder now and struggle with my eating.  I would love to hear fromanyone who can offer any support/ help.
sarard
on 11/19/07 7:56 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Dear Jessica,  I am not suffering from PTSD or an eating disorder, but I have had clients who have.   Over-eating and Under-eating are similar diseases.  Some people eat to combat depression or get control of their lives (leading to obesity).  Some people don't eat to combat depression or get control of their lives.  I can't explain why or how, but I can tell you that you are not alone.  It's not uncommon.  In my 5  years of practice, I've probably seen this happen 10 times.   Like I've told my previous clients, I am a dietitian, not a therapist.  Usually clients with similar problems to the one you are describing seek help with a psychotherapist or someone in a similar field.  You may try to look for one in your area.  If you have an AA or OA groups in your area, the facilitators there may be able to refer you to someone who specializes in under-eating.  If you feel comfortable, you may even ask your surgeon or PCP for a referral to a psychotherapist.  You could always do an on-line search.   Bottom line, you do need professional help.  I'm sorry this has happened to you & I wish you the best.    
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
(deactivated member)
on 11/19/07 8:23 am - Vacaytown, HI
Thanks so much for your caring and concern.  Yes I am getting help for the issues... but I used to be the gal that loved food.  Now it is not that way.  Take care!!
Most Active