3 weeks post op Bypass-wt loss stopped-concerned!!

kellbrat
on 11/14/07 2:41 am - Canadensis, PA

I had 18 Lbs weight loss since oct 24 (surg date) and I got on the scale today in in 1 week NOTHING!!! I eat very little, most likely less than 500kcal a day, I do drink my fluids-water/crystal lite only. I just have  NO appetite. I am afraid this isn't going to work, I know I AM NOT EATING ANYTHING BAD.  please help-some have suggested that i actually need to eat more to lose. I take my mvi's, my electrolytes are balanced perfectly-so why no wt loss?

sarard
on 11/14/07 11:51 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Hi,  Immediately post operatively, most people lose weight rapidly (you lost 18 lbs in 3 weeks - average of 6 lbs per week).  This is normal for the first 2-4 weeks after surgery.  Most of it is water weight (but weight, nonetheless).   It's common for people to begin to think that it's "normal" to lose 6 lbs per week and become disappointed when the weight loss slows.  It doesn't mean that you are now going to stop losing, it just means you are going to stop losing rapidly.   Normal weight loss is 2 lbs per week.  I would expect you to begin to lose weight closer to "normal".  Weight loss stalling for 1 week is not abnormal.   Here are a few things you need to be doing:  1. Follow the advice of your dietitian/surgeon on post operative eating.  2.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
sarard
on 11/16/07 5:44 am - Costa Mesa, CA
(don't know why it deleted some of my post off ...) 2. Exercise daily (you are likely only walking at this time - try to walk 20 minutes each day) 3. Take all  your vitamins and protein supplements 4. Drink adequate fluid 5. Try to weigh yourself only weekly or 2 times per month. Hope that helps!!
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
mattersfact
on 11/22/07 6:56 am - Indian Trail, NC
I am in the exact same boat!  I lost about 18 pounds the first 2 weeks, and my surgery was Oct 23. In the last 2 weeks - not an ounce!  It's a little depressing, because it reminds me so much of all the other failed diets in my life. I've been reassured that there will be plateaus, so expect them, and they won't last forever.  I joined a gym last week to help kick start things again. Wish you luck!
Most Active