which is better

bookworm
on 11/14/07 1:28 am - Douglasville, GA
Which is better for us RNY patients Ham of turkey? I'm 7 weeks out and I have not tried any meats yet. Trying to decide what to have fro the Holidays.

Robin W.
on 11/14/07 7:08 am - Franklin, OH
I would think TURKEY, ham has a lot of SALT.   I had Open RNY 11/17/2003 and had a few bites of turkey for Thanksgiving just a few days later.  Just maks sure it's moist and CHEW CHEW CHEW.  Good Luck,  Robin

4'10" - 47 I'm short but not petite and I will weigh more than a 5th grader
Start weight 220 
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"  Dr. Seuss

DanielleH_RD
on 11/14/07 12:46 pm - CA
I agree, roasted turkey is a better choice - for sodium and fat content. Go slow.  It is very possible that you won't tolerate meats well yet.  Most people do better with fish at first, then move up to poultry. Thanksgiving will be very different for you this year.  It will be much more about the socializing and a lot less about the food. Have a great holiday!
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

(deactivated member)
on 11/14/07 10:02 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH

My nut's suggestion about advancing proteins in my diet was first swim, then fly, then walk.  So I was to try fish and shellfish first, then poultry (chicken, turkey, etc.), and save pork and beef for last.  I followed her advice and did not have any problems adding these proteins to my diet over the course of 4-8 weeks.  Early out my pouch definitely preferred softer, moister proteins, so I ate a lot of broiled fish and roasted chicken.   Good luck deciding what to do for the holidays!  My surgery was in October '05, so my 2005 holidays were pretty boring in terms of what I could eat.  But it was only one set of holidays and the sacrifice was well worth it!   Kellie

Most Active