Nuts &/or Peanut Butter

wendy_fou
on 11/12/07 9:13 am - AR
Good for you or bad for you?
keal19
on 11/12/07 9:17 am - Clarion, PA
Revision on 08/12/13
I eat both, in moderation and find them fulfilling and contain protein and nutrients i need.
MelaniaB_RD
on 11/12/07 12:15 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Wendy, As with everything in life, I think peanut butter is fine in moderation.  However, there are many other protein sources that are higher quality protein and much lower in fat, i.e ( chicken, fish, turkey, lean beef, etc).  With that said, in a pinch a little peanut butter on whole wheat toast or sandwich for lunch will help keep you full for quite awhile (due to the high satiety value of peanut butter (because it is high fat).   As for nuts, I usually recommend avoiding them for at least the first 6 months and chew them very well.   Also remember that nuts are high in fat (albeit it "good" fat) and contain approximately 200 calories for ~ 2 Tbsp.  Many people find that nuts are like potato chips in that they can't eat just one.  Just something to keep in mind!
Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
Most Active