11 months rny post op need refresher on everything

valerie1974
on 11/11/07 9:01 am - morrison, MO

Ill be the first to admit that I havent taken any supplements faithfully since surgery. I recieve 2 b-12 shots a month from my Dr. I need to get serious and start taking my vitamins/calcium etc before i start having probs. I dont have acsess to a dietician right now. I was told by someone else who had rny that they take 2 prenatal vitamins a day(one in am one in pm) and that they take calcium and vitamin c. So if I were to do this in what order would i need to take them? I dont want anything to cancel the other out, like the iron in my vitamin to cancel out my calcuim or vitamin C. Any advice would be greatly apprectiated.Thanks in advance. Valerie

sarard
on 11/12/07 4:11 am - Costa Mesa, CA
If you need a full re-fresher, I'd highly recommend seeing a registered dietitian. You can find one at www.eatright.org (you can search your area to find one), or you can go to Find a Dietician on the left hand side of this message board to find one in your area. Or, you can use an on-line service that is available from your own home & your own computer. For a 're-fresher' you don't HAVE to go to a dietitan in your surgeon's office. But, if you are only looking for the vitamin recommendations, then read below: You've already got the B12 taken care of -- great. 1 Multvitamin per day (prenatal or regualar vitamin) - anytime 1 calcium supplement per day (calcium citrate or calcium carbonate) - take in morning 1 Iron supplement per day - take before bed * Don't take your calcuim and iron at the same time. Take AT LEAST 2 hours a part. You can take vitamin C with your iron to allow for increased absorption. Hope that helps!!
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Most Active