Pre-op headache, normal??

josully
on 11/11/07 8:37 am - San Juan Capistrano, CA
Hello all,  I am on day 12 of a 3 week pre-op liquid protein diet. The good news: I am not hungry, am losing weight and want to continue! The bad news: I have had an unrelenting headache for 7 days. and it is wearing me down. Normally excedrin takes care of any headache I occassionally have ...but, nothing works on this. I am getting 80-95 grms of protein/day, drinking plenty of water but the "shakes" only add up to appx. 450-500 calories/day. I tried mixing shakes with milk to boost calories but no change in headache. My Doc says no need ot boost calories & isn't  sure whats causing this. I also had a sore palate and thought I might be reacting to something in the shakes..again the doc says he does'nt think so. I have never had food allergies. No sign of virus either. My GUESS...with rapid wt. loss, our hormones must be affected ( by the 6th day I had lost 10lbs.)? Yes?  When younger  ( i'm 50 now), I had a history of migraine headaches related to hormones (i.e - pre puberty and 1st trimester of preg), however, it's been 26 years since I had one. Could rapid wt. loss precipitate hormone related migraine headaches or is this just my body in withdrawals?   If I am having this much trouble pre-op, I am very concerned about the 4 week liquid POST-op period. Any ideas?  Thanks in advance, Jo
Karen The Papaya
Queen

on 11/13/07 12:34 am - somewhere
it sounds like this might be a caffiene withdrawal headache which can be killers.... but mine usually only lasted 3 or 4 days tops.....

Life is tough, but my God is TOUGHER
"There is more to life than increasing its speed.? Gandhi
The Greatest Pleasure In Life Is Doing What People Say You Cannot  Do....

377/331/198/175 Highest/WLS/Current/Goal

sweetpea25
on 11/13/07 4:32 am - The beautiful state of, AL
Pre-op we were given scripts for liquid Dolgic or liquid Feuriset or Feurinol.  Not sure I spelled those correctly.  I would call the surgeons office and ask if they could recommend something for you to take.  The meds I listed were given to us to prevent caffeine headaches because they can honestly be so wicked!! Hope you get some relief SOON! Cynthia
josully
on 11/13/07 12:08 pm - San Juan Capistrano, CA
Thanks Cynthia & karen! Your stories are inspirational to me. I am so close to my surgery date and having the normal fears & doubts.  Thankfully, I am feeling better too! I am now thinking that I had a sugar withdrawal headache because I read they can last 1-2 weeks :/  I don't think I went through caffeine withdrawals, as I don't consume much. Also, I know they only last 3 or so days. I would imagine many wls patients go through sugar withdrawals? I am just glad my body seems to be adjusting. Thanks again for responding :)
Most Active