Carbonation withdrawl...

KeriC
on 11/11/07 3:03 pm - Tomball, TX
Hi there ... I am three weeks out of RNY and I am having some serious carbonation withdrawls!  I mean BAD.  You would have thought the Diet Dr. Pepper was a drug.  I have completely refrained from drinking any of it because I am afraid of how it might make me feel.  Has anyone deviated and had any "fizzy" drinks - DIET of course?  I fantasize about Diet Dr. Pepper.  How crazy is that?!?!?! Please advise ..... Keri
Keri 
Houston, TX
Revision from VBG to RNY on October 23, 2007

Robin W.
on 11/11/07 9:25 pm - Franklin, OH
Every doc is different some say you can have pop otheres do not. I have heard some post ops let it sit out and defizz I've heard you need to stir it a lot to get all the bubbles out.  I haven't had any pop since October 2003.  I do still drink some caffeine in my green tea but that's it.  I would try to stay away for as long as you can.  Good Luck,  Robin

4'10" - 47 I'm short but not petite and I will weigh more than a 5th grader
Start weight 220 
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"  Dr. Seuss

sarard
on 11/12/07 4:02 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Well, I'm sure people have cheated on their post op diet - but this one, I wouldn't cheat on. Here's the issue with the fizz -- we believe it can prematurely stretch your pouch. Which could lead to decreased weight loss. However, what you can do if you are really craving diet Dr. Pepper - let it go flat. Leave it open in your fridge for 24 hours before drinking it. It's not the soda that is the problem, it's the bubbles. So, if you can handle drinking FLAT diet soda, I don't see a problem with it as long as you are drinking it in moderation (< 3 per week).
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
suz1015
on 11/12/07 4:20 am
 My advice to you, find something new to fantasize about (George Clooney, shoes...) !! You don't need me to tell you it's bad for you, and now for your pouch. Yes it is hard, but you can do it.!  I think I can safely say, most of us here have had that addiction as well. It's hard. I miss the fizz too sometimes (Dr Pepper was my fav too), but the benefits of not having it, far outweigh giving in. I can't believe that I actually crave WATER now. If you told me that a year ago, I would not have believed it. Give it some time, keep your mind off of it (mind over matter) and I am sure you will get through this. Good luck.
KeriC
on 11/12/07 5:27 am - Tomball, TX
You are all correct.  It is mind over matter and I WILL NOT GIVE IN.  Thank you for your support and listening to me whine.  I appreciate all of you. Keri
Keri 
Houston, TX
Revision from VBG to RNY on October 23, 2007

shanna B.
on 11/12/07 9:31 am - camby, IN
I have refrained from drinking carbonation as much as possible pre-op to pre-pare myself for surgery, when the time comes.Water and crystal lite is water i drink all day, and occaionally a diet-caffiene free coke for a treat. I would of considered myself a coca-cola addict before and I am so afraid to drink anything resembling it for fear that I will relaps.It is so bad for you diet or not and I try to drink 80-100 onces of water a day.

HIGHEST 300 POUNDS!
Sept 07...284lbs.
surgery day 4/16/08...223lbs.
11 months Later...133lbs.
TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS
167lbs.     
 MY RNY!

Suzanna N.
on 11/14/07 12:39 am - Ocala, FL
Don't give in! I am seeking a revision after nine years and I truly believe it is because of soda (I love club soda!). I didn't touch it for four or five years, but I noticed the restriction easing as soon as I picked up the habit again. That carbonation burn (which feels so good), is NOT worth it. Suz
Most Active