Distal RNY absorption?

Janelle S.
on 11/10/07 12:06 pm - Metairie, LA
I have a distal RNY- 150cm common channel. I would like to know how much of what I eat is absorbed. Surely it is less than a proximal RNY, more than a DS. What should my protein goals and carb limits be? My stoma was over dilated while I was being treated for a stricture therefore I have no restriction. Thanks, Janelle

Pam T.
on 11/11/07 2:36 am - Saginaw, MI
Janelle - My understanding is that there's no hard and fast way to calculate exact malabsorption rates.  Two people with the same amount of bypass could have two different absorption rates.  Plus, our bodies are amazing and will eventually adapt to our rerouted plumbing in many ways which is why we want to take advantage of the honeymoon period so much. The figures that your surgeon's office/nutritionist gives you for protein and carb intake is calculated based on your expected malabsorption rate.  So follow those recommendations carefully. I know. ... that doesn't really answer your question.  But honestly I don't think there really is an answer that's completely accurate. Good luck, Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

sarard
on 11/12/07 5:19 am - Costa Mesa, CA
You may want to check with your surgeon as he or she will know exactly what is there for your absorption. You did report a 150 cm common channel, but I was taught that this is the length of intestine from your pouch to the intestinal anastomosis (where the new connection in your intestines was made). So, for me to really dig deep into the additional nutrients that may be malabsorbed, I'd need to know where the distal anastomosis was made - how close is it to your ileum? These are questions your surgeon will be able to answer. ///// Typically, the main thing you are going to malabsorb is fat, so, I would say your protein and carb goals would be the same as a proximal RNY. But I would really need to know the details of your surgery to give you an adequate answer.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Janelle S.
on 11/12/07 10:03 am - Metairie, LA
My distal anastomsis is 150cm from the ileocecal valve. This is straight from my operative report. I am trying to figure this all out on my own since my surgeon no longer lives in this state. Thanks for any help you can give me, Janelle

Most Active