bleeding gums?

Lori63
on 11/9/07 10:17 am - New Rochelle, NY
I suddenly have developed bleeding gums. I stopped flossing for a few weeks, but my gums have never been in this kind of shape! Could this be related to nutritional deficiences from the surgery? I am 3 months out after a GB. Thanks.
(deactivated member)
on 11/9/07 12:29 pm
I've always had bleeding gums-until I bought a philips sonicare toothbrush.  That thing really works.
Iced Latte
on 11/11/07 1:42 pm - Northeastern, LA
Could be a vitamin deficiency:

Vitamin C: Found in green vegetables, berries and citrus fruits, asparagus, broccoli, beef liver, brussel sprouts, cantaloupe, cauliflower, citrus fruits (like grapefruit and oranges), lemons, mangos, sweet peppers, pineapple, radishes, spinach, strawberries, and tomatoes -- just about all fresh fruits and vegetables. BODY PARTS AFFECTED: Adrenal glands, blood, bones, capillary walls, cells, connective tissue (skin/ ligaments/ bones/ gums), heart, mucous membranes, nervous system and teeth. DEFICIENCY SYMPTOMS: anemia, bleeding gums, breath shortness, capillary wall ruptures (bruise easily), dental cavities, low infection resistance (colds), muscle degeneration, nosebleeds, poor digestion, stress, weakened cartilages, blood clots, and slow healing wounds. Vitamin C helps prevent infection, enhances immunology and can help prevent cancer.  Vitamin K deficiency can result in bleeding gums, and in skin that is easily bruised. Vitamin B3/Niacin deficiency (pellagra) also causes inflamed, bleeding gums and a predisposition to certain mouth infections, such as thrush, or to inflammation of the tongue (glossitis).

suz1015
on 11/12/07 4:06 am
Hi - It could well be a deficiany, so please check with your doctor. - but in my opinion (I am a dental professional) it more than likely is due to not flossing. You would be surprised at how quickly gingivitis can develop when you stop proper hygiene. Please begin flossing again, use your Listerine rinse and be sure to brush at least 3 times a day - that should do the trick.!   Good luck!
Most Active