Carbohydrates on the nutrition label

rebeka C.
on 11/7/07 11:03 am - SC
I've been though a basic nutrition class in my process to be a RN, and from what I understand about carbohydrates they're either sugar or fiber, or can sometimes be labeled on teh but label as a sugar alcohol. Using Dreamfields pasta as an example, there are:
Total Carbs: Protected Carbs*: Digestible Carbs: 42 g -37 g 5 g
* Carbohydrates that are "protected" from digestion in small intestine.
What if the WORLD are "protected" carbs????  If it's not fiber, or sugar, then what the heck is it?
DanielleH_RD
on 11/7/07 12:32 pm - CA
A sugar alcohol isn't really a sugar - it just fools your taste buds into thinking it's sugar.  They are a related compound, but different enough to follow a different path in metabolism. As far as carbs - there are sugars, starches, and fiber.  There are some starches that are not easily digested so they almost act like fiber.  There are also molecules that do not break down easily when they come in contact with the normal digestive enzymes, so the body treats them like fiber.  The best example I can give for that is the 'jacket' around corn.  There are many people who pass corn almost indigested because of its protective "jacket" layer.  This is what they are trying to describe as "protected carbohydrates". Carbs are made up of the same basic molecules whether they are called a sugar or a starch.  What differentiates them is how complex they are in structure.  Fibers get so complex that your body basically says "forget it" and doesn't bother trying to break them down - that's why we don't count those calories. Does that explain it?
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

rebeka C.
on 11/7/07 7:54 pm - SC
That explains it very well!  Thank you!
(deactivated member)
on 11/9/07 8:43 am - Los Angeles, CA
Does that mean Dreamfield's is a good pasta? When I input it in fitday, should i count all the carbs? it will TOTALLY throw the ratios offf!
DanielleH_RD
on 11/11/07 8:29 am - CA
I wouldn't want to say it's good or bad - I would rather ask if it fits in to your daily goals? I think it is prudent to maintain the same pasta portion you have planned (even if the carbs are "protected") for portion control. The "protected" carbs probably do contribute some calories - but this is usually a percentage of total.  When you are putting it in to a calorie tracker, it counts like fiber - so it depends if you are using a program that allows you to subtract fiber calories or not. The total calories on the label has to be accurate, by law so maybe that becomes the deciding factor.  Factor in total calories (at 4 calories per gram of carb) to work backward and figure your total grams.  Hopefully this will work - let me know if it doesn't!
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Most Active