Calcium & Iron

rebeka C.
on 11/7/07 11:07 am - SC
I know not to take them at the same time, since they'll bond and not be absorbed, but is there a limit?  I'm asking in the instance of a friend who isn't a WLS pt.  She's borderline vegetarian, and doesn't eat red meat, and little dairy, so I'm a little concerned about her iron and calcium intake.  She takes organic vitamins (is there really a difference?  Really???) and they have both iron and calcium in them.  I told her she needs to take calcium separately, but wasn't sure if she should worry about the iron.  Thanks!
DanielleH_RD
on 11/7/07 12:41 pm - CA
Iron that is not from animal sources ("heme" iron) is not as well absorbed.  It is not uncommon for vegans to be iron deficient.  If she uses some eggs & dairy she could be alright.  Dark green leafy veggies like spinach have a fair amount of iron.  Calcium is also present in vegetables. I agree that she should probably take a vitamin, but a multi may be enough.  For calcium, 1200 mg per day is minimal, women should aim for 1800 mg (this is not a wls patient I am referring to). Additional iron is not indicated if she has enough intake & stores.  Too much iron is also not a good thing (women don't have to worry about this as much in their childbearing years - but men do!) Organic vitamins refers to the method in which they were produced.  If they are from plant sources, then there were no pesticides, etc used.  Is there a difference? Depends on who you're asking.  In terms of efficacy, probably not.  In terms of potential unwanted by-products, there is a difference.  What I like to remind people of is that arsenic is "natural" and petroleum is "organic".  It's all in the way you define it. You are a good friend to worry.
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

rebeka C.
on 11/7/07 8:03 pm - SC
Thanks for offering up such good advice!  Makes me want to take more nutrition classes in school!
Most Active